early 60s rock 'n' roll recordings...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

early 60s rock 'n' roll recordings...

Post by curtiswyant » Fri May 12, 2006 8:31 am

I'm thinking about doing an early/mid-60s rock 'n' roll album reminiscent of local teenage garage/r&b cover bands of the era. You know, like early Animals, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and so on. Now, I have a 388 which I just use for drums, I figure I should use that for everything on this album. I don't have any outboard besides an RNC so it'll be mixed ITB. Also, this is a one-man-band project so it'll all be overdubbed...one idea I had was to just leave the vocal mic up while I'm recording other instruments to get bleed, stuff like that. Any ideas?

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 am

I like the bleed idea. Along the same lines, try doing the vocals with the monitors blaring the instruments while you track. Are you making it all mono?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 12, 2006 11:11 am

You could just set up a room mic after you have all the tracks done and record a track of monitor bleed, that way you don't have an individual bleed track for each instrument.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri May 12, 2006 11:21 am

Hmm...interesting ideas. I think I will do bleed both ways. Since I do vox last, I can do 'em live with the monitors on. I LOVE the old Sam Cooke stuff (and similar) where the snare slaps from right to left because it's bleeding into the piano mic 8)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 12, 2006 11:33 am

Go totally old school and use the room as you reverb and print any guitar effects in tracking and then mix off the 388.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri May 12, 2006 12:39 pm

i dont mean to criticise, but if you "leave the vocal mic up" during drum tracking for a one man band, you dont have vocal mic bleed, you have a poorly placed drum mic.

take the time to place a distant mic in the right place for the drums or any of the instruments....you'll have a nice room sound to work with. but i'd have to say bleed is a concept involving two instruments playing with each other in a room. you cant fake "bleed."

if no one's singing into a mic, is it still a vocal mic? if the snare doesn't buzz with the bass, etc......

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri May 12, 2006 12:49 pm

I'll agree that the vocal mic thing, from my logic, won't simulate bleed. But I do believe bleed can be faked while if you monitor with speakers and not headphones. Maybe even messing around with the relative levels of the instrument tracks at each stage to simulate the proximity of instruments to one another.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm

ok, i guess you can fake bleed through reamping.

but does that mean like, playing back all the tracks into the live room while you play something else? that would be bleed, i guess.....otherwise you're just reamping for more ambience, which to me, is second best to having a room mic at tracking.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon May 15, 2006 1:18 pm

put the vocal mic in a good spot for drum 'bleed'/room mic. sing there. :)

In general though, I'd go with dlwb's suggestion to rechamber the whole lot.

Will

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon May 15, 2006 1:35 pm

drumsound wrote:Go totally old school and use the room as you reverb...
Yes! if your room sounds good this can help make things sound organic. It also makes it easier to mix later. If you're not too limited in track count, set up a room mic and leave it in the same place as your reverb track for each thing you want room sound on.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Mon May 15, 2006 1:41 pm

why dont you try...

dubbing the tracks one at a time, individually, then running each through its own speaker, which is positioned like a band on stage or rehearshing would be (you can even set up individual speakers for each drum if you please and had closed miced them) and then record that "band" with you doing vocals live over it. and close mic stuff, but also add a few ambience mics....okay thats a horrible idea.

logancircle
tinnitus

chamberpot

Post by logancircle » Mon May 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Yeah, I've tried chambering things in sections, like all backing vocals together, all drums and percussion together, lead vocal alone, etc... This works well IF the room sound fits the arrangement. Once you have the chambered tracks you can delay them for interesting effects.
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon May 15, 2006 6:14 pm

surf's up wrote:why dont you try...

dubbing the tracks one at a time, individually, then running each through its own speaker, which is positioned like a band on stage or rehearshing would be (you can even set up individual speakers for each drum if you please and had closed miced them) and then record that "band" with you doing vocals live over it. and close mic stuff, but also add a few ambience mics....okay thats a horrible idea.
That sounds like a cool idea to try sometime, irregardless of 60's sound..
beware bee wear

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 am

surf's up wrote:why dont you try...

Ha! I actually thought of doing this live...

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Tue May 16, 2006 9:54 am

Some of those 60's mixes were unbelievably weird...

I mean, if the Beatles were so damn influentual, why don't you hear records with the whole band in one channel, and the vocals in the other these days?

You heard mono drums in one channel all the time in some of those recordings, with bass on the other side, etc.
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler