Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Tue May 16, 2006 1:22 pm

I agree tonewoods, check out some CCR as well--

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Tue May 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Holy crap, I can't believe I'm posting something about what the beatles did. Anyhow, Ken Scott (White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Bowie stuff, etc.) comes around here once in awhile and said that when stereo came about they blew it off as a fad that would be over soon, so they would spend hours doing their mono mix for the record, and then throw 10 minutes into the "stereo" mix just to get the label to shut up.

Recreating 60's records is what everybody does now. You should recreate an 80's record...no wait don't do that either.

neil

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue May 16, 2006 5:55 pm

For the drums, maybe try a single overhead (like a 57). Squash it with the RNC; medium attack, slow release. Maybe throw another 57 in the kick with no EQ.

If I were to make a 60's sounding recording, I'd almost want it to be a caricature, to let the listener know your intention. Put in all the signature fads. Hard panning, woody bass, trebly, spring reverb drenched electric guitar. Very little close miking. Don't close mic the amps. Pick the bass strings right near the bridge. Lotta reverb'd vocal harmonies.

Just ideas.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Wed May 17, 2006 8:29 am

I don't want it to be a big production with weird panning and stuff...I'm thinking more along the lines of Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry. Sorry, I guess I meant to say "pre-Beatles" rock 'n' roll :D

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Thu May 18, 2006 6:35 am

curtiswyant wrote:I don't want it to be a big production with weird panning and stuff...I'm thinking more along the lines of Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry. Sorry, I guess I meant to say "pre-Beatles" rock 'n' roll :D
I think the key to that stuff is keep everything as simple as possible. No more than one mic on the drum kit. I'd take a shot in the dark and say the closest miced instrument should be the vocals, give the other instruments some space when micing. Of course a big part is having your sounds "old sounding" before you even go to tape.
Also, I don't remember if this was mentioned or not, but if your tape machine has a hi and low speed, use the low. That seems to "old" up the sound.
A lot can be learned from Buddy Holly recordings, they pulled off some crazy stuff, especially for the times. Like using a cardboard box for drums, or even knee-slaps in the case of "Everyday".

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

k

Post by jeddypoo » Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 am

This happens to be a subject I have a lot to say about. I've done a number of different things in this arena, but if you're looking to recreate the sounds of 60-66',

DO IT ON A 4-Track.

Seriously. Do it on a four track. A casette four-track. Nothing emulates that tape compression, weird smallness, and the general grit like a 4-track. In my opinion, you can't get the 60s sound any other way without sounding like Matthew Sweet or something. Also, record vocals with a ribbon mic. I feel like that's a big part of that vocal sound.

A few years ago, when I was heavily in my Brill Building phase of recording, I would cram about 24 tracks of instruments onto 4 tracks, and mix it straight from the 4-track through a mini jack into my old G4, and it sounded so authentic it was scary. To me, part of the aesthetic issue with modern recordings is that you tend to be able to hear every instrument clearly. Not a lot of mystery there.

Anyway, sounds like you're going to have fun regardless.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: k

Post by joeysimms » Thu May 18, 2006 8:13 am

jeddypoo wrote: A few years ago, when I was heavily in my Brill Building phase of recording, I would cram about 24 tracks of instruments onto 4 tracks, and mix it straight from the 4-track through a mini jack into my old G4, and it sounded so authentic it was scary. To me, part of the aesthetic issue with modern recordings is that you tend to be able to hear every instrument clearly. Not a lot of mystery there.
Can you post a link or 3 of these recordings?
beware bee wear

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Re: k

Post by jeddypoo » Thu May 18, 2006 8:25 am

joeysimms wrote:
jeddypoo wrote: A few years ago, when I was heavily in my Brill Building phase of recording, I would cram about 24 tracks of instruments onto 4 tracks, and mix it straight from the 4-track through a mini jack into my old G4, and it sounded so authentic it was scary. To me, part of the aesthetic issue with modern recordings is that you tend to be able to hear every instrument clearly. Not a lot of mystery there.
Can you post a link or 3 of these recordings?
Hahah, actually I don't know where those are online anymore, but I can try to locate them. Or, you could buy a My Teenage Stride record, or, I could email you a couple of those mp3s.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu May 18, 2006 9:45 am

curtiswyant wrote:I don't want it to be a big production with weird panning and stuff...I'm thinking more along the lines of Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry. Sorry, I guess I meant to say "pre-Beatles" rock 'n' roll :D
Hide the guitar tuners...

In fact, intentionally taking an electric guitar out-of-tune in the right way can go a long way to help create an old vibe.

Think Mark Ribot on some of the Waits recordings, or Chuck himself back in the day...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler