m-tron questions/help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

teardropcity
audio school graduate

m-tron questions/help

Post by teardropcity » Sat May 13, 2006 10:41 am

Hello, I am interested in getting the M-tron mellotron software, I heard some sounds on a recording and really dug it. However, Im not even sure what it takes to make it work. I have a PC that runs XP, I do NOT do any computer based recording, I have a stand alone digital recording device for that, can anyone out here tell me exactly what I would need to get to be able to use the m-tron?? Thanks ini advance.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 13, 2006 12:25 pm

You could run it with a simple MIDI interface ($40) attached to any MIDI-compatible keyboard, and take audio out of the headphone jack on your computer. Or, if you want it to sound really nice, you'd want to buy an audio interface.

I bought the M-Tron a few weeks ago. It's FANTASTIC. There are lots of places to get Mellotron samples for free, but these are really special...they have every tape ever made, plus Chamberlin sounds, and other extras...it now comes with the bonus sound banks for free...and the interface is really rather cute. For $99!

I'm running it on my HP laptop with MIDI and audio coming through a PreSonus Firebox ($300). I strongly recommend the Firebox, it sounds terrific.

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Sat May 13, 2006 3:34 pm

sorry to sort of hijack the thread - i would love to be able to create mellotron sounds, this software intrigues me. i on the other hand do all my recording to a computer. i dont know anything about MIDI though. is it possible to record this to tracks on my DAW one computer or do i need a separate computer running m-tron then going through my interface to the other computer running the DAW.

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Sat May 13, 2006 4:13 pm

I use M-Tron and I love it... i have the extra tape banks and the MarkII sounds are just incredible... but I also have Reason and I had gotten the Mello-T refill before the M-Tron and that has some great Tron sounds as well... In my mind, if you use mellotron sounds alot (and I do - almost to a fault) if you already have Reason get the MEllo-T refill and M-Tron (I've seen the refill for as low as 50 bucks and M-Tron w/out extra banks for 99) and between them you'll have every Mellotron sound you'd ever need. The refill has patches which are combinations of sounds etc... (names like Strawberry Jam, Sixties Flute section, Wrath Of Tape) but the M-Tron tape banks are the straight up samples - what you would get if you bought a mellotron.

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 13, 2006 5:04 pm

surf's up wrote:sorry to sort of hijack the thread - i would love to be able to create mellotron sounds, this software intrigues me. i on the other hand do all my recording to a computer. i dont know anything about MIDI though. is it possible to record this to tracks on my DAW one computer or do i need a separate computer running m-tron then going through my interface to the other computer running the DAW.
I believe you can install m-tron as a plugin, so that you can record it right to your DAW. Though I record out of the computer, so I'm not totally certain. This would be the way most people would want to use it though, so I'm sure it's doable. The only reason you'd need MIDI is to attach a keyboard to your computer...if you already have a USB keyboard controller you're fine.

It's true, this package is just what you would get with a mellotron. Every single note is sampled--there is no interpolation between notes--and you get 8 seconds per keypress, just like a mellotron.

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

M-tron

Post by uniquebassplayer » Sun May 14, 2006 4:27 pm

I recently purchased this software for use on my iBook in conjucntion with Garageband and it works flawlessly.

The sounds are terrific and it's really easy and fun to use. The only problem is now that I have it I find myself trying to use it on way too much stuff, which I guess is pretty standard anytime you get something new.

Surf's up, you don't need to get a midi interface if your computer is capable of accepting a usb midi controller. In that case you just hook the midi controller straight to your computer eliminating the need for an interface. You can do it all on one computer.
Good Luck,
-e

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Re: M-tron

Post by mikehattem » Sun May 14, 2006 7:18 pm

uniquebassplayer wrote: The sounds are terrific and it's really easy and fun to use. The only problem is now that I have it I find myself trying to use it on way too much stuff, which I guess is pretty standard anytime you get something new.

That's my "problem" too... but since my music is based on alot of late 60s pop influences - its actually helped me to be able to fully realize my songs in the recording... the B4 (v1) and the M-Tron are the two VSTi's I use most often and both are IMHO excellent at what they do... I stayed away from virtual instruments for a long time thinking it was all just synths and electronic stuff until I saw the B4... and then a little later I found the M-Tron... the other one I have is Lounge Lizard and that's really good - I usually use at least one of those on most of my songs (sometimes all 3)

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Re: M-tron

Post by uniquebassplayer » Mon May 15, 2006 12:37 am

mikehattem wrote:
That's my "problem" too... but since my music is based on alot of late 60s pop influences - its actually helped me to be able to fully realize my songs in the recording... the B4 (v1) and the M-Tron are the two VSTi's I use most often and both are IMHO excellent at what they do... I stayed away from virtual instruments for a long time thinking it was all just synths and electronic stuff until I saw the B4... and then a little later I found the M-Tron... the other one I have is Lounge Lizard and that's really good - I usually use at least one of those on most of my songs (sometimes all 3)

Mike
Yeah, like I said I think everyone goes a little overboard when they add something new to the palate. You're kind of probing a bit to see where it works and where it doesn't.

The M-tron is very usable though and more often then not it works very well where ever I try and put it. I just worry about over doing it and making all my stuff sound too similar.

I too stayed away from all of the computer based stuff out there thinking it wasn't what I was looking for. Lately though I have come around and I'm sure it will just snowball from here.

I thought I heard of your band before or possibly played a show with you guys so I checked it out on myspace, but I was thinking of something else.
Good Luck,
-e

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

updates?

Post by thearnicasync » Mon May 15, 2006 9:17 am

hiya!

Does anyone know where you can get the new banks if you alreday have an M-tron?

I just checked the gforce site and m-audio, and no luck... :cry:

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

k

Post by jeddypoo » Thu May 18, 2006 7:37 am

When I first got M-Tron, I played the beginning part of "Strawberry Fields Forever" about 3 billion times. I love the M-Tron. I probably use it more than any other software instrument.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

teardropcity
audio school graduate

Post by teardropcity » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 pm

I'm having trouble with my m-tron, I run it as a stand alone on Windows XP
A look at m-tron FAQ helps explain my problem:
My M-Tron crashes when using MIDI CC7. Why?
If you try to use a MIDI controller (using CC#7) to control the volume of the M-Tron standalone on Windows XP, M-Tron can lock up and then you must force it to quit. In some cases, it even causes the computer to fail to recognize the sound card, which may require you to restart the computer. This issue is under investigation.

This is whats listed on their website and has been for months
Its gotten to the point where the m-tron is locking up every few minutes regardless of anything
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can use it without this happening? Is there software I can get to use it as a plugin with?
teardropcity:music for late nights and early mornings http://www.teardropcity.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:21 pm

Try TobyBear MiniHost and run it as a VST...then you can assign CC's to stuff, and avoid #7.

That sucks though...it's never happened to me.