NEWBIE QUESTION - interface v. mic for new Intel Mac user

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

teresaiswar
audio school graduate

NEWBIE QUESTION - interface v. mic for new Intel Mac user

Post by teresaiswar » Sat May 13, 2006 3:48 pm

To be as succinct as possible, I just made bought a new Intel Mac Mini and thought I'd get an MBox2 and be done with it, happy as a clam. But I'm getting fearful of committing to a PT setup after some research and some of the other interfaces are looking interesting, including Firepod, MOTU Ultralite, and the Focusrite Saffire, where I could use Logic Express or DP. Doesn't help that Digidesign still hasn't released a compatible version fo Pro Tools for the new Intel Macs.

That said, I've been recording to Garageband though my old harddisk recorder into an iMic connection and have been pleasantly surprised with how it's working, but am convinced I could get better results with a new condenser mic (currently, have an NT1 and Presonus Tube Pre). So would this "digital interface" dough I was saving be better spent on a new AT 4040 or Shure KSM24 and maybe an ART PRO VLA?

I figure I'd need them both eventually, but the other will have to wait until later this year. Would a better soft sequencer like Pro Tools make an immediate sonic difference that i'm not aware of?

I don't record others in my project studio, just trying to get the best possible recordings of my own songs. I'm not planning on staying on Garageband forever, but it's more fun that I thought and I still have loads to learn. And the digital interface/recording software debate seems neverending.

Thanks much for reading...

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Sat May 13, 2006 4:05 pm

that debate is never-ending. a nice condenser mic would probably help a lot. i think the software used is going to almost always be secondary to your ability to use it and ease of using it. if youre having fun and comfortable in garageband i say stick with it. hey we cant all put dan lavry's kids through college. maybe im wrong, but i dont think you have to put 10k$ into A/D stuff to get solid recordings.

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:20 am

I was really happy with my logic express and focusrite saffire. It sounded really good. My personal opinion would be to add a tube mic pre before the saffire just to heat things up a bit. The saffire's software was awesome and the construction of the box was totally rockin'

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 am

Tascam 1804 is working pretty well with my mini intel right now, otherwise, for something smaller i think Edirol have caught up with the intel chips in macs now.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:57 am

I thought digi relesed pro tools m-powered and LE universal binaries. maybe i miss read something. I don't really think you going to get some serious sweet analog sounds from a mic untill you're in the $500 plus per channel range. You will get different sounds, but not jaw dropping stuff.

The TAPCO link.usb got a pretty good review in the current issue of tape op. and pro tool is lame to the max!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:40 pm

Cyan421 wrote:I thought digi relesed pro tools m-powered and LE universal binaries. maybe i miss read something. I don't really think you going to get some serious sweet analog sounds from a mic untill you're in the $500 plus per channel range. You will get different sounds, but not jaw dropping stuff.

The TAPCO link.usb got a pretty good review in the current issue of tape op. and pro tool is lame to the max!
You're late by about 3 months. Hence the supposed absence of PT Universal Binaries :).