Source for Advent woofers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matyas
pushin' record

Source for Advent woofers

Post by matyas » Thu May 18, 2006 7:57 am

I've got a pair of Smaller Advents (ca. 1972 - about four years before I was born....) in need of a new pair of woofers. I had hoped they just needed new surrounds, but the woofers themselves are pretty much shot. Anyway, I've been trying to find a source for replacements, but no luck. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some NOS woofers? Or can someone suggest a good substitute 8" that matches the Advent tone? I've already checked eBay, and I'd prefer not to have to spend too much on this.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu May 18, 2006 9:15 am

Why not have the originals re-coned? It might cost a little less than buying replacements, it might be about the same price, but you will have an original sounding/performing Advent.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Thu May 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Is it the whole speaker or just the surrounds?

If it's just surrounds they're pretty easy to replace yourself. I just did it on a set of Advent "loudspeakers" and while at first it seemed a little daunting, they were easy and they sound great.

If they need more attention than just the surrounds, I would second the whole get them reconed thing. Prbably cheaper and better sounding.

The company I got the foam surround kit from is called Orange County Speaker and they were great to do business with. Also, I think they'll do the thing for you if you want.

Hope this helps -AE

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Thu May 18, 2006 3:42 pm

You might see if anyone has a lead on this at John Sayers forum:

www.johnlsayers.com

They have a forum called "Speaking of Speakers"

I have some old Advent 3's that I like a lot; yours are probably worth the work.

Frank

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Sat May 20, 2006 10:49 am

Cool, thanks for the help, guys. I took another look, and they're definitely going to need reconing as well as new surrounds. So I'll probably send them off for that (I'd do surrounds myself, but I don't feel comfortable doing the cones). I'm a little worried about the cost of shipping, but I've got a few other needs and projects right now, so I'll probably be holding off for awhile. (I also need to pick up a nice power amp to drive the,.)