G4 Vs G5

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wyattt
gettin' sounds

G4 Vs G5

Post by wyattt » Sun May 21, 2006 8:57 pm

I'm looking for some opinions here. I run Protools LE (and my resources to go HD are years and years away) with a Powerbook G4. I am looking to switch to a Powermac for PCI(e) and memory, and hard drive expansion options. Right now I am running out of CPU power running approx 20-24 tracks with minimal PT plug ins (gates, compression, etc..) and maybe 2 IR1 reverbs. Things get especially slow when I come towards the final mix and have quite a bit of plugins and automation. I dont have the resources to mix out of the box with outboard gear yet and so everything is dependent upon what lies within my software.

My Question is, will I see a signifigant enough difference if I switch to a Powermac G4 with the upgraded aftermarket dual processing 2.0 Mhz processors with the RAM maxed out and a 10,000 speed hard drive or is it better just to save more money and buy a G5 refurbished. I'm not trying to be cheap but I would love to be able to take the money I would have spent on the G5 and put it towards more gear if I can?

I have seen people get by on G4's with minimal processing speed somehow but I have no idea how they are doing it even with optimizing protools to run more efficiently.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Mon May 22, 2006 7:05 am

You will see a noticeable improvement in the performance of your recording software because of the increase in processor speed - moreso I believe with a G5 as opposed to a G4 dual.

I've been using a PowerBook G4 for about four years using a MOTU 828 mkII running AudioDesk 2. Even with maxed RAM and all the "right" settings the G4 was huffing and puffing. I recently bought a refurb iMac G5, and I've been amazed at how smoothly everything runs now.

I would hold out for the G5.

Andy

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am

I own both a PB 1.5 Ghz G4 and a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5. I use the PB as a remote machine and the G5 as my main workhorse. I would also hold out for a Dual G5. I use Digital Performer on both machines with an 828mkii. Considerable difference. I can run a ton of plug-ins (highest count was 60+ EQs, Comps, Limiters, and 2 Altiverbs, etc) on the G5. Running only 1 MOTU Masterworks EQ with the analyzer open takes 10%-15% of my PB G4's CPU. Huge difference, though the PB is fine for tracking dry.

Jeff