Electric Piano Software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Electric Piano Software

Post by uniquebassplayer » Mon May 22, 2006 11:15 am

Can anyone recommend a really good sounding piece of electric piano software? I'm looking for something that really captures the sound of a fender rhodes and/ or a wurlitzer very well. It also has to jive with garageband on my mac. I am also not concerned with anything else it may or may not do, I'm okay with it just making electric piano sounds. I'm looking to spend between $100-$200 and was considering this Native Instruments Elektrik Piano software. Anyone use it? Likes, Dislikes? Your collective input is appreciated.
Good Luck,
-e

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon May 22, 2006 1:03 pm

I like the electric piano instrument that comes in Logic. It's the EVP88. I'm not sure if can be purchased separately anymore (at one time, pre apple, it was).

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Post by uniquebassplayer » Mon May 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Anyone else?
Good Luck,
-e

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Mon May 22, 2006 5:39 pm

I have Lounge Lizard which is pretty good... actually its the most realistic I think... but I also have Reason which has some cool EP patches... I have the NI B4 (v1 not the new one though I hear the upgrades are really good) and as good as that sounds I imagine their Elektrik Piano is probably just as good... in which case it would probably be better than even LL.

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Mon May 22, 2006 5:43 pm

I have Lounge Lizard which is pretty good... actually its the most realistic I think... but I also have Reason which has some cool EP patches... I have the NI B4 (v1 not the new one though I hear the upgrades are really good) and as good as that sounds I imagine their Elektrik Piano is probably just as good... in which case it would probably be better than even LL. I've also used but do not own (so I haven't had indepth experience like LL) Emagic's EVP73... that has a really vintage sound to it but not as much control as LL... Lounge Lizard lets you control many aspects of the mallet sound, the fork sound, and also add effects like tremolo, and chorus built in... i don't know if they have a demo (a friend had it and I heard it on his demo, and I read a couple online reviews that were good enough that I bought it without demoing it - and my budget is minimal so I usually take great care in my VST and VSTi purchase)...

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 22, 2006 6:06 pm

I have the NI Elektrik Piano and B4 II and they are both the bee's knees. Both are quite realistic on their own but I've also been RE-amping them through a 1976 Fender Twin for extra sweetness. I honestly never want to part with either of them.

Jeff

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Post by uniquebassplayer » Mon May 22, 2006 6:12 pm

I think I remember you posting about that Lounge Lizard program on another thread on the M-Tron. Does it only have Rhodes sounds or different e.p. samples?

I'm not totally sure but I think the NI Elektrik Piano allows you to control the parameters you mentioned.

I wonder if these companies have mp3s or something online that you can check out to get an idea of what they sound like.
Good Luck,
-e

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 22, 2006 7:33 pm

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Mon May 22, 2006 7:58 pm

using the regular sample-based epianos in logic express's sampler but running them out to an amp (tube bass amp works good) hot enough to grit it up on chords and micing it back in works good. you can still hear the sample transitions when the velocity changes on individual notes, but certain parts sound pretty remarkably like a rhodes.

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Post by uniquebassplayer » Mon May 22, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks you guys! The ammount of help and wealth of ideas here is greatly appreciated.

I've read a little bit on this Elektrik Piano software and it seemed to be something in the direction of what I was looking for. Now after listening to the demos on the NI page I'm pretty much sold. Less expensive, more reliable and several stone lighter than an actual vintage electric piano and quite the convincing sound. That's what I'm going with.
Good Luck,
-e

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Tue May 23, 2006 6:31 am

here's another vote for the Lounge Lizard. We have a Wurly at the studio also, and one day for fun we put the real wurly on one channel coming into PT and the LL on another with the patch setup as closely as possible to the real sound. Had a real keyboard player handy with a nice weighted keyboard, and as far as he was concerned, (and me too) the sound/feel/playability was identical.

I used to have the EVP88, but lost it when Logic stopped being PC. Fortunately LL did a nice cross-grade for me...
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Wed May 24, 2006 7:15 am

I know you weren't looking for freebies, but for some reason, I really like how the 4Front E-Piano Module sits in the mix. Take a look at what else is listed on KvR.

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Wed May 24, 2006 10:11 am

Lounge Lizard Version 3 is great. Another Vote here.

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Post by uniquebassplayer » Thu May 25, 2006 3:31 pm

I wasn't familiar with KvR. I will look into the freeware. Thanks.
Good Luck,
-e

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 am

another lounge lizard vote. I love that thing.