HELP: I need a POWER AMP for my Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jcooke
gettin' sounds

HELP: I need a POWER AMP for my Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors

Post by jcooke » Mon May 22, 2006 4:12 pm

I am new to monitoring outside of headphones. I bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6's and now I need a power amp. Any suggestions. Here are the technical specs for the tannoy reveal 6.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
PERFORMANCE
Frequency Response (1) 65Hz to 51kHz
Recommended Amplifier Power 50 to 100W @ 8 ohm
Power Handling Average RMS (2) 50W
Power Handling Programme RMS 100W
Nominal Impedance 6 ohm

Thanks,
Jeremy
Last edited by jcooke on Mon May 22, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon May 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Are you thinking of new or used?
Do you have a budget constraint? (Not like I'd recommend some $5,000 amp to mate with those, but you know.)

Any special needs like XLR inputs or rack mountable or low current draw or something unusual?

-Jeremy

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Post by jcooke » Mon May 22, 2006 4:48 pm

As far as budget goes i guess I'm looking at around $500 or less. It doesn't have to be rackmountable and there aren't any other weird constraints, at least that I know of.

Thanks for the help

Jcooke

P.S. Professor, I try to sign my name jcooke as to not be confused with you (Although I am also a Jeremy) I would hate for someone to take my advice thinking it was from you,someone with infinitely more knowledge. Thanks for the respnose.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 pm

I haven't used these myself, but I love my home theater receiver/amp (1050) that I got from these guys that I run with some B&W DM303's. The quality is amazing at the pricepoint. Rock solid. Huge filters and excellent design. These are monoblocks, so I imagine they'd be better than what I have. I've been thinking about getting some to run at my present place to replace the Alesis RA500 that we've got now, but the Truth Audio monitors we have just kill anyway with that amp, so I don't really have any complaints.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

You could look into that amp (Alesis) as well as a budget alternative. I'm not a fan of theirs, but they do some things well. The other obvious choice would be a used Bryston, but it might be a little pricy for you. I believe the 400b goes for more like $800 used.

Other than that, I'd say look into the Hafler stuff. My old partner had a pair of Reveals that he amped with a Hafler P3000 (?) and they were great. Imaging was incredible with that setup.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Tue May 23, 2006 10:24 am

I run my Tannoys off a used Peavey CS400 power amp.
It works beautifully!

This beastie is about 250W/channel, and cost $225 used. Note: Having way more power than the speakers are rated is a good thing, as it keeps the speaker from being damaged by a clipping power amp at high volume levels.

The only issue is that there is a cooling fan in the thing, and though its really very quiet, still you might want to put it in an equipment closet (or wherever you put your noisy-fan stuff).
________
CREAMPIE ASS
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue May 23, 2006 11:05 am

I wonder how this sounds???

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... nd-29.html

best price going....so good it has got to suck...right?

I need a new amp also....I have a Crown now but it makes too damn much noise.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Tue May 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I wouldn't buy Behringer just because of their business model. They basically rip off successful models/companies by reverse engineering them, then undercutting on price using cheaper parts, ie Mackie mixers and monitors. This model is a clear rip-off of the Alesis. Looks almost identical. I understand people buying it because of price, but sometimes it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It might not suck completely, but I'm sure it sucks partially.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Thu May 25, 2006 2:37 pm

I plan on running my monitors with a old Crown DC300-A. One of the best amps of all time in my book.
Will Drum For Money

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu May 25, 2006 6:52 pm

i need one too. will be mating it with a pair of B&W CDM-1s. I'm leaning toward a Hafler of some flavor.

edwinhurwitz
studio intern

Post by edwinhurwitz » Sat May 27, 2006 7:48 pm

I use a McIntosh 2105 with mine. Sounds great! It was my bass amp back in high school and has gone through hell and high water and has never complained. Needs a new glass, though.

Edwin