Symetrix 528 Pre, are they good?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burn
pushin' record

Symetrix 528 Pre, are they good?

Post by burn » Mon May 22, 2006 8:10 pm

There is a symetrix 528 for sale in my city at a cheap price. I'll probably get it but I wonder if it's an upgrade from my actual pres (Tascam M-2600 board) or are they quite the same?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue May 23, 2006 5:24 am

I've used a 528 since about 1992. I like it a lot. Just when I think I'm bored with it and haven't used it for a while, I patch it in and it does the trick.

It has a decent sounding preamp, combined with a de-esser, polite compressor, usable expander, and a fully parametric three-band EQ.

This is the newer 528E, but the layout is the same:

It's designed as a broadcast channel strip. I might even go so far as saying it was one of the first channel strips I can remember.

It may not be the greatest at every individual thing it does, but as a swiss army knife, it works in a lot of situations.

It also features terminal strip connections on the rear so you can tap in or out of it at any place in the chain. Say you want to skip the on-board compressor, and insert an LA2-A instead, you can. Say you want to JUST use the pre, you can. It also has a balanced 1/4" line out.

I used it for years as my main vocal preamp. Now, it gets used on occasional vocals, snare, kick, toms, acoustic guitars, bass... Basically I will go to this pre when I know I'm going to have to EQ something going to tape (I try not to use EQ if I don't have to).

How much is a good deal?

Roger

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Tue May 23, 2006 5:39 am

Rodgre wrote: How much is a good deal?

Roger
how much is a good deal? you will hate me if I tell you... my neighbour is selling all his stuff cause he need money to travel, so for 450$canadian he is selling a package of :
1x symetrix 528
2x symetrix 501
1x bbe sonic maximizer
1x aural expander
1x presonus bluetupe dp
1x mackie 1202vlz
1 portable rackmount on wheels

he got the symetrix stuff, bbe and aphex at the professional postprod studio he work for dirt cheap cause they sold all since they went digital years ago.

Anyway, do you have an idea how the 528 compare to other pres, like RNP, sytek, or cheap stuff like mackie or art mp? I suppose it'll be better than my tascam (who is not that bad, but sterile)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue May 23, 2006 5:48 am

Wow, that is a great deal. You better edit your post so nobody on the west coast reads this and spits their Wheaties onto the keyboard when they get up.

I can't compare it to a Sytek or RNP, but I think it's a better sounding pre than the typical cheaper console. The fact that you can compress things slightly and eq in some sizzle, or take out some mud, etc. makes it a simple way to get a fat sound going to tape. I'd say that the tone of the pre is no-frills solid state that doesn't have any distinct character, so it's not going to sound like a transformer-coupled class A pre, or a high-voltage tube pre or even some funky old discrete transistor pre. It is what it is. A mid-level clean pre that is geared to solve any basic issue that you might expect in a voice-over/broadcast situation. That said, it works well in any studio application.

Roger

saldiamond
pluggin' in mics

Post by saldiamond » Wed May 24, 2006 4:42 pm

i have the older 528.
i will agree with everything said above.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm

the pair of 501s are worth the $450 CAN alone. take that deal.

NOW

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 pm

I used to carry an old 528 with me in my touring rack when i did live stuff. Ages ago. I loved that thing. I used it on a bunch of mixes as well. I would use the de-esser and EQ as a part of my vocal chain. I would use the comp and EQ and pre for a mono room mic once in a while. They are totally good. In this context, you are getting a total deal.

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Wed May 24, 2006 10:18 pm

I dont want to be the only one negative about the 528, and indeed as everyone has said you got a killer deal going there with your buddy. You should get it. But I had one and it was kinda not so good sounding. Sort of dull and flat, like too many cheap IC's. Its true that it has some worthwhile features. I liked the De-esser. But for me it was taking up valuable rack space, and I have some other more interesting pre's and things to use. I suppose I would try a different one, perhaps the one I had was bunk. FWIW...

Andy

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu May 25, 2006 5:58 am

bendymusic wrote:I dont want to be the only one negative about the 528, and indeed as everyone has said you got a killer deal going there with your buddy. You should get it. But I had one and it was kinda not so good sounding. Sort of dull and flat, like too many cheap IC's. Its true that it has some worthwhile features. I liked the De-esser. But for me it was taking up valuable rack space, and I have some other more interesting pre's and things to use. I suppose I would try a different one, perhaps the one I had was bunk. FWIW...

Andy
Thats what the EQ is for on those kind of boxes, to get back the 10k you lose just by going through themmm .. ;)

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Thu May 25, 2006 8:50 am

joel hamilton wrote: Thats what the EQ is for on those kind of boxes, to get back the 10k you lose just by going through themmm .. ;)
Is that why they have EQ on mic pre's? I guess the 528 is great. Somebody told me its the same as a Neve. :roll: j/k ;)

Andy