93%
nay
7%

Total votes: 14

???????
resurrected

ADK mics

Post by ??????? » Mon May 22, 2006 9:28 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue May 23, 2006 6:33 am

I've used the A-51 (version IV), sc1, and Hamburg. Really liked the Hamburg (nice big picture of whatever it's recording), thought the A51 was cool for the price ($40 used - good but not great on guitar amps), and I didn't like the sc1 (brittle and fizzy, though I've heard that the sc2 is a dramatic improvement).

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Tue May 23, 2006 3:46 pm

I have 6 ADK mics and like them very much. The A51 is a great mic for lots of things. I like them on vocals, toms, acoustic guitar, and horns.

Mike

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Tue May 23, 2006 5:22 pm

We've got the TL and the Hamburg edition at my studio. I love the TL on almost everything. Smoooooth. Still a bit hyped, but not overly so-the mid/treble that is there is smooth so it doesn't get hashy or harsh or anything, and the multiple patterns make it really versatile in tone as well, with the omni being fairly flat going to more scooped at figure-eight. I wish I had two to use as overheads when I need cardiod or figure-eight and can't use my Gefell omnis. The Hamburg is a good vocal mic for some people. As always, vocals are very voice-specific. I got a great deal on my TL ($200), but they're normally $500, and well worth it in my opinion.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed May 24, 2006 7:45 am

I have the A-51 DLX. These are supposed to have class A electronics. The output is lower than I expected for a LDC, but it has a nice sound. I also don't hear much of the typical chinese mic upper-mid funkiness. This mic is pretty smooth. I gave it a Yay!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:12 am

I got a used TC, after reading the rave review in the Op.

Mixed feelings. The top end seems a little tinny, but the mic makes the bottom end of things sound very big and full. I've really liked this effect on both drumset (as the only mic on the kit!) and my voice.

It's definitely a color mic, not an accurate sonic measuring tool.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:16 am

I too like the TL just fine. The ADK people seem pretty decent, they repaired this mic for me for free without any pissing around. I think the guy's name is Larry...?

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:57 pm

I have a matched pair of the ADK CE. I just got them so I haven't spent enough time with them yet to really know them well. I can tell already that I like them. They're nice, very nice actually.

I only record solo fingerstyle acoustic and classical guitar. They will compliment the other mics I have and use.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:21 am

i have an a-48 tube mic from adk that i usually freak out on when i record bass or kick with it. 1 foot away gives a nice space/detail ratio.

balou2
audio school

Post by balou2 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:27 am

I've used several, and ALWAYS been pleased with their sound and construction. For large diaphragm, the TLs are worth every penny, and won't break the bank for a pair. I see used pairs consistently in the $500-600 range. I picked up a used pair, matched, for $500.

Someone mentioned the people...I dealt with them once and FWIW, they were AWESOME to work with. Very accommodating and genuinely interested in helping serve. That's worth increasingly more in this day and age.