Cubase LE opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wayout
ass engineer

Post by wayout » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 am

I have heard that the latest Version of LE has only 4 inputs as well...
The older version will do 8... I got my Firepod used, so its the older 8 input version.

Jake

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:59 am

I have no experience here, but maybe it is limited to 4 stereo inputs, this would give you 8???
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

jmcdaniel_ee
audio school

Post by jmcdaniel_ee » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:43 am

I really like Cubase LE. I actually had a copy of Sonar 4 Producer (that I bought off of Ebay, but was copied, so I returned it). I was planning on using it anyway, but I liked Cubase better (although it didn't come with as many bells and whistles, effects, etc). I found it MUCH (MUCH!) easier to edit audio, and various track processing on Cubase as opposed to Sonar. Several times I've looked into upgrading to SX, but I really don't know what I'd be paying for. Here's a comparison chart to see what I'm talking about. According to this chart, LE allows 8 simultanious inputs. I really agree with others that Cubase LE is a great DAW software package, especially for being essentially free.

I've been using a firepod with Cubase LE for about a year. I've been putting off drum recording, so I've never actually recorded 8 tracks simultaniously, but I know that I can set it up that way (I've enabled all inputs and selected various pairs so that I wouldn't have to unplug stuff). Also, as far as tying up system resources: I was having problems with slow performance. I wasn't sure how to optimize my operating system (XP Pro), until I found on Steinberg's website the advice to select "optimize for background services" in the system performance tab of windows. Since then, I've had no problems with dropouts, noise, etc, and running at 1.5ms latency (the lowest settting).

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:56 am

i've used the presonus firepod with a dell computer to record demos for bands that just want to come in.

i've used the 8 channels from the start.

so don't believe the rumors.. all 8 channels do work with cubase LE at once. :wink:

edit:
to give you an idea to what the firepod can do for a live (in studio) demo...
http://myspace.com/inorbit that's a band i did a few months ago. yes there were lots of overdubs.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Recent LE experiences

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:17 am

I got Cubase LE with an E-Mu purchase and had used it only for score based MIDI editing - seeing the notes often helps me get my head around a part.

Any-hoo,

I was coaxed up to the wilds of Maine to enjoy a beautifully lake-side cabin and record a demo for friends. My mics; their mixer and their computer running Cubase LE. I had to spend some valuable barbeque time getting acquainted with the software but we got tracking the next day.

I was impressed with the sound (E-Mu, again) and we quickly got into a workflow groove (there's nothing like beloved Tracktion, though) both with tracking and virtual instrument MIDI.

Free software, unheard tunes (although I know the musicians have chops), an unfamiliar non-geek owned 'puter, all in a rural and untried remote location - sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn't it?

Well, the material was strong and cool, everyone was relaxed (even me!) and they performed well. Just a great experience.

I've been kind of wordy but IMHO give the LE a whirl.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

np
audio school graduate

Post by np » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:59 pm

you can edit in LE without your hardware connected
without exceptions, there would be no rules