API 3124+ vs. Wunder Audio PAFOUR

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

API 3124+ vs. Wunder Audio PAFOUR

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 am

Hi everyone,
So I've been recording a few bands lately and got a lot of $ for my 18th birthday. Soon I will be able to make a big purchase for my setup, and new pres will probably be it. I would want four. Anyone use these preamps? They are both around the same price and I've seen the 3124 go for a little less sometimes. Obviously they are both of different flavor, but they are both highly praised. Anyone wanna share an idea? I will be recording mostly rock, funk, metal, jazz, etc...lots of drums, e. guitars, bass, vocals, possibly keys. note that I already have a UA2108..it kicks a$$, but I need more pres. and at my level I would want a different color, something to work with. Thanks
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Thu May 25, 2006 11:33 am

I hate you.

(envy) :ar15:

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Thu May 25, 2006 12:04 pm

I think, for a GREAT all arounder, there are VERY few pres that can come close to the Wunders. I have access to 20 channels of API pres, Neve 1073, a Vipre, Buzz, all the different Avalon pres and then the Wunders. I pretty much always use the Wunders. In fact, in a shoot of *mint* 1073s vs. the Wunders, the PEQ-1s make the Neve sound BAD.