stuff that just WOW on the sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

stuff that just WOW on the sound

Post by Brian Brock » Sat May 27, 2006 11:26 am

Hi there. I'm not too excited about pres, compressors, or eq, or reverb - that's all taken care of for now. What I want is to get some Sound Smashers, I like it, make it go loopy, but in a controllable manner. So let me ask a question - what should I get?

I was thinking like the Moog delay, ring modulator, and the murf, would be really awesome for messing with sound. Rack them and use them like a zing-zong machine.

A Thermionic Culture Vulture would be kind of the one stop fuzz shop, but I feel like I can just run stuff through a fuzz box or an amp if I want distortion.

Then there's like a Kurzweil Mangler, which looks cool, but maybe isn't fun enough. Also, due to a boring story I have to shop at a place which doesn't carry Kurzweil.

What about the Mutronics Mutator, or the Sherman Filterbank? Are those things more valuable than just like a wah wah pedal or something?

Does that get the idea across? I mean, basically, there's three types of oh shit type of machines - things that operate essentially at an instant, like a distortion box, things that operate over time, like a ring modulator, and things that create sound, like a delay or reverb.

ok

b

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat May 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Maybe a reamp and some zvex pedals? I think it'd be cool to reamp some drums through a seekwah or some vocals through fuzz probe.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat May 27, 2006 8:12 pm

The Sherman's are pretty versatile when you learn your way around them. I'm no good with ours, but the guy who designed our space is quite talented at pulling all sorts of crazy things out of it...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Sat May 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Lovetone Meatball Guitar pedal.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat May 27, 2006 8:34 pm

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sat May 27, 2006 10:45 pm

I'll second the motion for Reamp boxes and running your signal through pedals.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sun May 28, 2006 3:20 am

syrupcore wrote:vortex
i'll second that

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sun May 28, 2006 9:03 am

These are all really interesting. I get the idea though from looking at these guitar pedal things that they might not be very controllable - like doing the same thing might not have the same result. On the other hand, something like a Sherman Filterbank, it seems to be designed like an instrument, something you can learn and get predictable results from...

The vortex is interesting, I've used one, but it feels kind of like it always makes a similar sound - also since it's digital I don't imagine it having useful distortion, which is definitely a big plus.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun May 28, 2006 9:10 am

I've never played one but yeah, the filterbank seems like more of an instrument. It's dedicated to what it does and everything on it is playable.

the vortex is repeatable if that's what you're wondering about. a controller helps with making it more 'instrument' like. it's an odd box that does some neat stuff for pretty cheap. They usually go for <150.

Will