an important delicate situation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

an important delicate situation

Post by snuffinthepunk » Sat May 27, 2006 9:49 pm

in reference to my post in the "hookups" forum...

I interviewed at Starstruck studios the other day. The guy that interviewed me was really cool, he showed me the whole place and when I left he said he'd definitely call me. (they're lookin for 2 new interns, and they received only 2 resumes from my school) However, while I was there, Blackbird studios called me. (phone on vibrate, I didn't answer of course) but I called them back and they offered me an internship. GREAT! But, I want the one at Starstruck because they allow the interns to use the rooms at night to record and get to know the rooms, which could prove HUGELY beneficial. So, my question is how do I address the engineer at starstruck? If I wait too long (i.e. later than tuesday) my position at blackbird could be gone and that sucks cuz I haven't been "guaranteed" a spot at starstruck. Being that this is a competitive business and definitely a competitive market (nashville) I don't quite know what to say to aaron at Starstruck but I know that I do need to talk to him because if worse comes to worst, I could end up not getting EITHER position. that would honestly kill me. So, HOW could I possibly express to aaron, the engineer at starstruck, that this is kinda a "need to know" situation for me without coming off like "dude, tell me now cuz if not then I'm going to have to take another internship" or whatever....ya dig?

yeah, any input is appreciated.

oh and so ya know, blackbird studios does hook their interns up by having "training sessions" in which they take the interns into the rooms and teach them stuff, which is cool...i'm just more attracted to letting the interns use the rooms themselves for recording (not for profit, obviously) because that's pretty much as hands on as you can get.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!!
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat May 27, 2006 10:14 pm

Don't tell him where else you're talking to (of course he might know now if he reads this), but just tell him that you have another offer, but would much rather intern there and see if he can give you any sort of answer. I can't see it being a big deal.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun May 28, 2006 8:39 am

Yeah, just like any job, if they want you then they'll ideally wait a reasonable amount of time for you to make your decision.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 am

you said the fella was cool. Just be straight. Everything you just typed is totally reasonable. I'd just repeat it. I'm sure the guy will understand that you don't want to be left with nothing.

make sure he knows that you want to be there. I'd actually be inclined to tell him the name of the other place so he knows you're not bullshiting him to pressure him or whatever. That said, chris has certainly known more studio owners than I so I'd listen to him. :) Maybe he can elaborate?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 28, 2006 12:03 pm

Call and tell him the truth. Make sure he knows you want the gig at his place as your first choice.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun May 28, 2006 10:13 pm

Yeah, exaclty, he's a person too, he's going to completely understand. Let us know how you get on, glad you're finally get an internship.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 pm

Well guys, here's how it went down.

This morning Blackbird called me again asking if I knew what was up with my schedule so I'd know if I could take the position there or not. I asked if I could call him back in just a bit to tell him because I was about to talk to my boss at Hard Rock to see what can be done, so he said sure. My manager told me that they would deal with my restrictions, so I called Starstruck, and guess what....closed for Memorial Day! Had I asked Blackbird to wait again that probably would have left a bad taste in their mouth...I know it would to me if I were them because people would be lining up at the door wanting to work at the studio, so they could just discard me.

Blackbird was one of my top three choices here in town, it's an awesome place. The only thing that drew me to Starstruck is that I was told they let the interns use the rooms at night for practice. But, at Blackbird, to make the interns feel like they're not "interns" they have "training sessions" in rooms that aren't being used to familiarize them with the gear and let them get their hands on it and stuff. Now that I think about it, that could maybe be better anyways because we'd have someone to ask questions to right then and there. So really, it may be better to be there anyway. I took the internship at Blackbird Studios.

www.blackbirdstudio.com

The ONLY drawback is the schedule, I'd have to work Saturday and Sunday nights. But, we all gotta make sacrifices, right? Those are money nights at Hard Rock, but at least I still have Friday, and then other nights and days during the week. And I'll be helping at a kickass studio. It'll all work out.

Thanks everyone for your input!
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 29, 2006 6:24 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:I'd have to work Saturday and Sunday nights.
Dude, if that's a major drawback to getting an internship at Blackibird, then you're making the wrong decision in terms of choosing a career.

Congrats on the internship. You'll have a great time!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon May 29, 2006 6:35 pm

cgarges wrote:
Dude, if that's a major drawback to getting an internship at Blackibird, then you're making the wrong decision in terms of choosing a career.

Congrats on the internship. You'll have a great time!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
oh, don't get me wrong man. the only negative that has is that, like i said, it's a money night at my "paying" job and I have to pay my bills. but I'm willing to make that sacrifice. It's not like I want to have weekends available so that I can go out and party, it's not like that at all. I'm 50-60G in debt, so obviously a paying job is kinda important ;) Trust me, I don't care about workin weekend nights, I'd rather be in a studio on a weekend night than anywhere else...just sayin I gotta pay bills, that's all. I'll make it work though!
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:41 am

cgarges wrote:
Dude, if that's a major drawback to getting an internship at Blackbird, then you're making the wrong decision in terms of choosing a career.
Agreed! Engineers get used to taking "weekends" when they happen and almost never on the actual weekend. I know I normally end up putting in the most hours on Saturday and Sunday.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:35 am

Congratulations. Blackbird is a pretty cool place. I spent some timne hanging out with Rolff at TapeOpCon these last two years and I'm pretty sure he'd make a great boss.