What are those chairs in most high end studios?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the riff
takin' a dinner break

What are those chairs in most high end studios?

Post by the riff » Sun May 28, 2006 3:03 pm

You know the ones I'm talking about right? They are mesh and very comfy... I'm assuming they cost a lot. I need a new chair so I'm looking to see if one of these is in my price range...

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun May 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Its the Areon chair by Herman Miller. Its pretty much the only chair I can sit in for like 12 hours and not be hurting.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Sun May 28, 2006 3:16 pm

I was actually comign back to delete this post since I just found it. Thanks! There are some on Ebay in the $500 range. Might be worth it :)

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun May 28, 2006 3:17 pm

the riff wrote:I was actually comign back to delete this post since I just found it. Thanks! There are some on Ebay in the $500 range. Might be worth it :)
They're definitely worth it if you are going to be working long sessions! Your back will thank you.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon May 29, 2006 7:10 am

We have those chairs where I work...god-like. I didn't know they cost that much though! I work at a library and we must have ordered at least 50 of those chairs during renovation...don't tell the taxpayers!!! :oops:

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon May 29, 2006 8:07 am

curtiswyant wrote:We have those chairs where I work...god-like. I didn't know they cost that much though! I work at a library and we must have ordered at least 50 of those chairs during renovation...don't tell the taxpayers!!! :oops:
They are built like tanks. Go ahead and tell the taxpayers, you are saving money buying those chairs.

We have them where I work, and some people wanted different chairs because they thought the Aeron chair was uncomfortable. The chairs they got were probably $300 each and after 4 years, they are all in pieces. All the Aeron's are still like new.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon May 29, 2006 9:15 am

i happened to score a fabric covered knock-off of an Aeron from a guy i knew who sold office furniture. it's still amazing. maybe you can find something like that a bit cheaper than the aeron.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon May 29, 2006 12:23 pm

I've had an Aeron for like 7 years now, the wife bought it for me as a birthday present when I started to have back problems. It has contained my ass without complaint, in complete comfort, and without showing any wear daily.

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Mon May 29, 2006 12:57 pm

You might want to check out dovebid.com from time-to-time. They are an online asset liquidation place; when Enron went under, they were selling Aerons by the gross.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon May 29, 2006 6:07 pm

A little off-topic, but during the dot-com craze, people used to say that the quantity of Aeron chairs a startup had was a nice indicator of how quickly the company would fail. The more Aerons, the faster the company would tank.

It was a pretty good indicator, because if a startup was willing to spend $700 per chair, they probably didn't have their priorities straight about being a startup and were likely to fail.

I wonder if there's an equivalent for studio startups? ProTools ICON consoles, maybe?

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Mon May 29, 2006 9:34 pm

I've tried a few "poor man's" aerons and they don't even come close. If you are going to sit for 14 hours, you had better hope it's an aeron.

Herman Miller also makes the "Mirra" chair, which is a slightly cheaper alternative (and a newer design).

Another favorite of mine is the Freedom chair by Humanscale, because the armrests go all the way down (handy when you want to play guitar). They are expensive, though.

When you're used to sitting in an Aeron, you realize just how terrible most chairs are.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon May 29, 2006 11:38 pm

John Jeffers pretty much covers it. Imagine how I felt pleading to my boss for a $30 trackball while he cooled his heels in what I believe at the time was a $1000 chair.

We had big leather 'captains chairs' that were just murder on the back, so I switched mine for a regular egonomic office chair -- tho clearly not a herman miller.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Love them. I have one, and Tony has one at studio G.
Though I normally let the clients sit in them when I am working. I like the weird chair i use because i move around a lot, and the "little" chair is lighter... I probably "ride" that chair like 3 miles a day rolling around to adjust stuff..

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by billkahler » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 am

After checking craigslist I found a used office furniture joint in a bad part of town that had Herman Millers for sale for 500 but the guy took 400 cash. I can sit in that chair for 10 hour days with no back problems. Shoulda bought one years ago!
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 am

i have a Herman Miller Aeron @ work, it's great. i can sit in it all day.
i went with an officemart $100 leather exec chair @ home & it's nice, but not as form fitting as the Aeron, gotta get up & walkabout every so often.