"No control room." Looking for tips on getting sou

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:06 am

i work in a basement with no iso, sometimes i put the drums up on the main floor, still no iso.
my method is print, tweak, print, tweak, until i am satisfied. it can take a while, but the more time you put into it the better the results.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:42 am

Hahaha... in my old 4-track days, I remember I once sat in a closet for an entire day of basics just to be able to hear what the hell was going on. The band got signed from that demo, so it worked, but man it was uncomfortable...

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:50 am

junkstar wrote:Hahaha... in my old 4-track days, I remember I once sat in a closet for an entire day of basics just to be able to hear what the hell was going on. The band got signed from that demo, so it worked, but man it was uncomfortable...
Signed from a 4-track demo!!

Don't hear that story much anymore.

Damn shame really, It use to be more about the songs, now if your demo dosen't take someone's head off, nobody cares.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:56 pm

here,at Allaire,the Neve Room doesn't have a control room.never really found it much of a problem.i mean,it takes a little bit of getting used to,but.........i have some Alan Smart DI's that i use to run long lines to guitar and bass amps in other rooms,drums in a hallway.........i wear headphones sometimes,or listen low on speakers...depends what's going on...usually end up printing a little bit,then playing it back through the speakers,adjust as required and get on with it........to be honest,i love working without a control room.less doors to struggle through,you wanna move a mic?? just wander over and move it,wanna throw bits of paper at each other....?? all easily accomplished.....
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:56 pm

exploit that latency! Life gives you lemons....

wiggins
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wiggins » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:48 am

Recording without a control room, as I've had to do out of necessity recently, has really helped me get cleaner, simpler recordings with what I have. If I'm not isolated from the source, I can't really hear well enough to needlessly fiddle around with EQ or comps while I'm trying to get sounds. I know my mics pretty well, so my main concern is getting levels right. If the level's going crazy to tape, I'll limit it. If it needs EQ, I'll do it after they've tracked when I can actually hear the damn thing. The recordings I've done recently this way have turned out much cleaner-sounding, and take much less time.