What Did You Work On Today 6-9-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today 6-9-06

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:04 am

Sorry for the long wait between these. We'll get a head start on Friday, June 9th. What did you guys work on on Friday?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Holding Pattern
audio school graduate

Post by Holding Pattern » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:40 am

did some mellotron and glockenspiel overdubs.

man those things are hard to get in tune (the mellotron, not the glock)
Last edited by Holding Pattern on Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:43 am

Finishing up Vox tracks for a hardcore punk band (False Profit), bunch of good guys that we do a lot of shows with. They were on the Warped tour in '03. They laid down about 17 tracks a few days ago and they are back to do some vox. I think its going to be a good sounding CD.

Starting to do some mixing on tracks recorded 2 weeks ago for Exxposure, a local cover band. Some of the greatest guys to work with, always a pleasure to have them around. Great musicians, some of the few with their head on right LOL.

Just finishing up 7 tracks of mixing for Andrew Miller, sorta folk acustic project. I have to put some small bass drum tracks in when his drummer drops by. I also had to go through my incrimental backups to find a track of backup VOX that I removed but he decided he wanted back. Thank God for Incremental backups! I normaly keep everything but I must have removed the track instead of archiving it.

Listening to about the 80th drummer that has tried out for my sons band, damn drummers... I think this one is going to work out, their music career is shaping up to be Spinal tap. I think this is drummer #8 or 10 or something.....
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 am

I'll post what I'm gonna do, since the next 7.5 hours will be spent at work / perusing TOMB.
I'm gonna finish up tracking bass for a long-distance project with two friends in Virginia. The drums were done over the last couple of weeks by drumsound, and he won't brag so I'll say that they are awesome. Playing bass to them is great...I'm doing my best to pretend I'm John Paul Jones.

REVISION: I ended up spending the evening with my wife at her lab, counting e. coli bacterial colonies on agar plates until midnight. It's not recording, but it was still novel.
Last edited by mjau on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:56 am

I'm in AutoCAD hell, trying to design something I've never seen (other than old blueprints) prior to attempting to make it work (later this year). Learning this AutoCAD stuff is harder than learning ProTools, and I'm an ace board draftsman, so it's not like the concepts are new to me.

Tomorrow I get to use my new console though. Can't wait for that...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:16 am

dude, it's 11:15 in the morning. thus far today i worked on getting my ass outta bed, on the bus, and to work a mere 10 minutes late. after that i worked on a delicious breakfast of strawberry yogurt and granola, and am currently working my way through a large cup of french roast, black. i will spend the next 5.75 hours perusing various messageboards, emailing friends, and basically doing everything possible to avoid doing any actual work pertaining to my day job. when i get home tonight i'm gonna remaster a record i did last week. by "did" i of course mean "fucked up completely". stupid sub bass...

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:41 am

Well, I think I'm gonna be sitting at work, comparing the sounds I got on my "project" to other sounds seeing how it compares and noting subtle differences.

I will also be eagerly awaiting my new microphone purchase, yet another from the glorious people that are TOMB members. You know, I find it absolutely hysterical that I don't feel at all bad about making a purchase in excess of $200 from a messageboarder, though I'm sure my asscheeks would clench in a second about spending that amount at say a Guitar Center or Sam Ash...

If I get home sometime tonight, I'll have to prepare my room for tomorrows sessions: songwriting with my friend Ryan's band (11-2), and tracking drums and possibly acoustic guitar for another session (2-5: HOPEFULLY)

Other than that, I plan to drink and dance, and hopefully get laid.

Cheers!
I'm all about a little kick and snare

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:55 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i will spend the next 5.75 hours perusing various messageboards, emailing friends, and basically doing everything possible to avoid doing any actual work pertaining to my day job.
You're an inspiration.

I got inspired on material for another soundscape, so I spent the morning blowing into beer bottles, recording the traffic sounds outside my window and flipping paper in front of a microphone.

I'm not going to be able to finish it soon, though, because I need to add a tiny bass overdub for a flippin' sweet beat and make a broad first pass at mixing it.

I also had to learn "Magic" by Olivia Newton-John for a gig tonight. But that's a whole other story.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:15 pm

YOUR KONG wrote: I also had to learn "Magic" by Olivia Newton-John for a gig tonight. But that's a whole other story.
Awesome. The mood of some of that ONJ stuff is fantastic.

I spent the morning preparing demo spots for focus group testing, and burning a load of CDs to send to the test facility. Rest of the day (rest of the weekend, most likely) will be prepping final album mixes for a mastering session on Tuesday.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:18 pm

I am syncing audio for a reality type show. Major pain in the rear. Timecode does not match consitantly because the HDV cameras did not have a timecode in. This was shot over 6 weeks and stuff is used from everyday of the filming. This is definitely not fun. But it will be good when I am done.

Rob Tavaglione
studio intern

Post by Rob Tavaglione » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Worked with this great singer/songwriter Jay Mathey. Did handclap and backup vocal overdubs. Also tracked an acoustic gtr w/vocal song all completely live (Jay LOVES tracking live this way, fearless!). Used lots of ribbons today ...
Catalyst Recording
www.catalystrecording.com
"The question is life, the answer is music"

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:21 pm

mixed a song by Forest Sun with Sean Hayes on addtional vocals that we tracked yesterday.
We recorded the basics over a year ago in a little hobbit house up in Mill Valley beside a creek and under a ton of redwood trees that you could see through the skylights. Had a fire crackling most of the time and tracked everything live with members of ALO, Hot Buttered Rum and a few other folks whose affiliations escape me now... It's fun revisitng old tracks and thinking about how your work methods have changed...
about to go do some half-assed mastering on a 2 cd collection of Bach Piano stuff for a pianist here in town...
Going to macy's tonight to buy my girlfriend a dress for a wedding we're going to tomorrow out at the beach... Might have a drink on top of a building somewhere downtown

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:46 pm

I finished working on this thing this afternoon:

Its a 4x1 AM-16 mixer. The fourth amp can be switched in as a make up amp for the mix buss or out so you can use the unit as just 4 mic pres. Each channel can be switched on or off the buss. The meter monitors the 4th amp and can be switched out of circuit, variable impedance for the input transformers on all channels. Pretty versatile.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:23 pm

8 am phone interview recording session for a medical channel Sirius radio, recorded vocals and guitar for my album all afternoon, and tonight, recording actors (vocals, piano, cello, acoustic guitar) from the Chicago production of "The Last Five Years".

Aah, variety!

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:12 pm

I got the necessary resistors to finish rebuilding the power stage of my AB165 Bassman head. No more spitting! it is one fine sounding amp now.

Starting in on NewYorkDave's One-Bottle Mic Preamp. I did a quickpoint to point layout and now I just have to put the thing together. I am going to use a Hafler TA1600 chassis that blew a few months back. It was kinda fun gutting the thing. It felt like I was weeding a flowerbed.

Once that gets boring, I am going to mix some stuff I have been tracking lately.
not to worry, just keep tracking....