Yamaha NS-40 What are they worth? (NS-10s on steriods)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Yamaha NS-40 What are they worth? (NS-10s on steriods)

Post by detroitdiesel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I posted this on by/sell as well. I'm thinking about unloading these. Don't see them on ebay ever. How would I find the value of these. I know, I know, worth is waht someone will pay....

Anyone, Beuhler?

DD

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:17 pm

I dont know that they are worth that much. The reason NS10's have gotten so pricey is (among other things) because of everyone knowing them. To say that the NS40's are like NS10's at all is misleading. They dont sound anything like each other. The NS10 is a constant, the NS40, a variable. People are paying for a little chunk of constant on their meter bridge...

I would try ebay, and see if they get caught up in a feeding frenzy. Hell, even if they are broken (like everything else on ebay) they will probably go for a decent price.

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:17 pm

That's funny -- I was just talking to the guys at London Bridge here in Seattle -- saying that the only place I had ever seen NS-40's was there, even in pictures...

(if anyone wants to see pictures go to http://www.londonbridgestudio.com/ )

They may go for more on somewhere like eBay because of their rarity, who knows. If nothing else they've got 4 of the woofers that have been discontinued.

Good luck,
Josh

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:31 pm

I am not familiar with the NS-40's but I do have a set of NS-30T's that I use to listen to mixes on. They are nothing like NS-10's but they do seem to translate well to most other speakers in the same way NS-10's do (if it sounds good on these it sounds good anywhere). I bought my pair of NS-30T's for $20 at a yard sale in near mint, barely used condition. These don't have the white cone woofer, but if yours DO, they are probably worth considerably more than my consumer speakers. Are the 40's pro? Black or woodgrain?
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by detroitdiesel » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:42 am

Thanks for the replies. They are virtually the same as the 10s but with two woofers instead of one. Same square tweeter and an extra dome tweeter. They are pro audio all the way. I found a picture on ebay. have a look.

item #7608897211

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

This auction is for an avid system.

Thanks, DD

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:28 pm

we've got our NS-40's setup for playback in the main tracking room. and i don't like them for much of anything. but then i've never had them setup in such a place as to give them a fair chance. and i most certainly DO still have the NS-10s setup as nearfields and use them all too often. cuz that's what they're for.