what's all this talk about bypassing the 001

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alissa
pushin' record

what's all this talk about bypassing the 001

Post by alissa » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:01 pm

can someone please elaborate for the noob?

i just saved my g4. i've been using a mackie 1402-->001 line ins forever. what's all this talk about the wonderful world of bypassing using the spidif?

like how?

can you daisy chain them? how many inputs can you do this way? and what pres do people like?

i'm just wondering. because if i saved my computer, i'm going to go crazy. plus my rack needs more flashing lights to go with my guitar room
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:18 pm

or say i got like a mackie 800r or digimax or focusrite with the lightpipe.

how many inputs can you get this way max?
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:54 am

alissa wrote:or say i got like a mackie 800r or digimax or focusrite with the lightpipe.

how many inputs can you get this way max?
All those units will get you 8 inputs via the lightpipe, plus give you the option of using as the master clock. Some of them (Digimax LT for sure) have an external word clock input.

The s/pdif input will give you 2 inputs and also the option of master clock.

In my 001 setup I have an older Apogee Rosetta AD in the s/pdif input and used as master clock, and a Digimax LT in the lightpipe input. The Rosetta has a BNC word clock which goes to the Digimax word clock in.
my band: Mission 5

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 am

Yeah basically if you utilize the adat lightpipe ins and spdif you can have a total of 18 simultanious inputs for your 001...Plus when you use the adat ins and spdif you're totally bypassing the converters on the 001 which if you have a decent converter is a major improvement in sound over the stock converters of your 001...Hell go and buy a used old 2 channel rosetta and it's really a step up from the 001 conversion...

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:18 pm

i think the rosetta is slightly out of my budget at this point :)

and excuse my cluelessness but i have used the light pipe a total of once to transfer tracks from an adat. and i remember their being some weirdness with clocking. but i don't remember precisely.

so is this where we get a latency issue when you start have all these inputs? 18 inputs sounds nice in theory, but i have a feeling that my computer is going to have a nervous breakdown WAY BEFORE i can ever do anything useful with 18 tracks.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:21 pm

Using the digital inputs is a piece of cake but you do have to go to setups/hardware setup and configure it for what you want it to do.

Higher track counts do not increase latency per se, its more of an overall load on the cpu you have to worry about. Set the buffer at setups/playback engine, lower buffer setting = lower latency (~3ms at 256 I believe) = higher cpu load. If you have a slower computer then it will definately put a damper on the fun and you'll have to learn how to juggle buffer settings, track w/o plug-ins and submix things to free up cpu headroom.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:48 pm

what's the best 8 channel converter i can get for under $100?

ok.

$150.

no. i was thinking of maybe getting a converter and a couple different pres to experiment with. instead of just getting like a digimax or onyx. but i'm open to ideas. if anyone feels like sharing. i kinda wanna focus on getting 8 good channels with variety. a couple at a time. and maybe up to about 2000. but not all at once.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:59 am

The cheapest (AFAIK) 8 channel ADA converter w/ pres is the Behringer ADA8000.

A cheap ADA converter w/o pres is the Alesis AI-3.

I've heard of people using an old Alesis ADAT for conversion, but the bit rate will be limited to whatever the ADAT is, I believe 16, 18, or 20 bits.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:46 pm

behringer?

i don't do behringer. actually i had a bad experience with a certain behringer compressor. plus, if i got something behringer i think i would never survive the endless flaming from all of creotia.

i think i'm going to get the ai-3. plus, my friend says he can do a mod on it to give me more headroom.

but then there's the preamp question. i saw the thread with the preamp comparisons that was really cool. i was kinda gonna go for variety. so i might start with the aphex 207 in my s/pidf juncture. and maybe go for a hamptone for the two of them. i've been advised against the tube pre. but i should still have 6 to play with...
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:02 pm

alissa wrote:behringer?

i don't do behringer. actually i had a bad experience with a certain behringer compressor. plus, if i got something behringer i think i would never survive the endless flaming from all of creotia.
I think if you actually tried the ADA8000, you'd be willing to put up with the flaming. Not a big fan of the company either, but that unit is an amazing value and sounds awesome (I only use it to convert D/A into a board).
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:06 pm

does it go both ways?

cuz there's this hot dude i know with an analog studio. but mine's digital.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Re: what's all this talk about bypassing the 001

Post by sdelsolray » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 pm

alissa wrote:can someone please elaborate for the noob?

i just saved my g4. i've been using a mackie 1402-->001 line ins forever. what's all this talk about the wonderful world of bypassing using the spidif?

like how?

can you daisy chain them? how many inputs can you do this way? and what pres do people like?

i'm just wondering. because if i saved my computer, i'm going to go crazy. plus my rack needs more flashing lights to go with my guitar room
There are three things you can bypass:

1) The preamps. You're already doing this with your Mackie.

2) The converters. Either via ADAT (8 channels) and/or SPDIF (2 channels) for a total of 10 channels. You can do this for input (AD converters) or output (DA converters), or both at the same time.

3) The clock. This can be done when either ADAT or SPDIF is used.

It doesn't make much sense to bypass the Digi001 converters or clock unless the converters or clock are better than the ones in the Digi001. It doesn't take much to beat out the Digi001 converters, but they aren't the worst ones out there either. You could do worse. Dunno if you can beat the DIgi001 converters and clock for $100 or $150. Dunno if the Behringer products beats the 001 or not.

I've had a Digi001 for over 6 years. I bypassed the pres, converters and clock back then too. Works great. No more software updates. Stable at OS 10.3.4, with PTLE 6.4 and assorted third party plugins. If anything fails (knock on wood) there are plenty of cheap Mac G4s and Digi001s around.

I think the whole DAW upgrade thing is overblown. I could use a Digi001 for decades and be perfectly happy. I'd rather spend my money on quality mics, pres and other outboard gear, than spend it on updating computers and software again and again and again.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Yeah and I feel the same as him up above this post...My 001 just took a shit on me and guess what...I'm buying another used one because like he said, I'd rather continue to improve my pres and mics rather than spend cash on a new daw thats going to do the same thing my 001 can do...Dont ever think you need to upgrade just because it's the latest greatest...If what you have works, then keep it until it's beat and eventually takes a shit on you...Just like my 001...Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:35 am

yep. that is my sentiment as well. there is no way in hell i'm gonna spend several thousand dollars to end up where i am already. but i'm starting to get dissatisfied with my mackie. and one of the channels of mic preamps doesn't work. it's time to move on.

if there is a converter out there that is better than the ai-3 (as you implied), i am all ears. as i said i'm not attached to the 150 price tag. that was a JOKE. see...girls can be funny too. :) anyway, you can't get them for 150 anymore. i probably can't afford the rosetta however.

i'm also interested in what people are using for mic pres. i'm not throwing my mackie away. but i'm gonna get a couple channels at a time. i think i'm gonna get a hamptone first. for my birthday. but it's not until september. so i have time to change my mind.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Re: what's all this talk about bypassing the 001

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:21 am

sdelsolray wrote:I think the whole DAW upgrade thing is overblown. I could use a Digi001 for decades and be perfectly happy. I'd rather spend my money on quality mics, pres and other outboard gear, than spend it on updating computers and software again and again and again.
SoundCampaign wrote:Dont ever think you need to upgrade just because it's the latest greatest...If what you have works, then keep it until it's beat and eventually takes a shit on you...
WORD UP!
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."