Solar Power for recording studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Solar Power for recording studio

Post by E-cue » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:19 pm

I tried searching here but must have missed it...

I thought I read a thread here about someone in upstate New York getting "off the grid" and using only solar power. Anyone got any tips or resources on where to start researching this? I hear lots of 'too good to be true' comments, and I'm looking for a bullshit filter.

The last one I heard was, if you live in CA, you can stay connected "to the grid" and if you get a surplus, you can put power into the grid and the power company will actually pay you.

I don't really care about the tree hugging advantages, but hey- why not... I'm more interested in if it's even worth considering for a small, project studio. Short term, Long term... Anyone have any direct experence?

p.s. I still think Al & Tipper are douchbags.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:04 pm

I believe Tragically Hip did a record using solar power to run their studio. You may want to look along those lines.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:11 pm

Hey, I'm building a place on my property and am hoping I might be able to do solar powered or other eco friendly/less cost intensive method.

I've heard solar panels need 100% sun exposure (no shade whatsoever) for 9am to 3pm......would be interested to learn more.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:25 pm

There are several states where you can get reimbursed for any extra juice you pump back into the grid. This is more expensive to set up than an all-solar system because you have the conventional stuff too.

There's no "need" as far as solar panels go - if you don't shine on them enough you'll just run out of electricity sooner, but you're charging batteries, so if you get enough panels you could theoretically charge enough batteries to give you 24/7 electricity in the winter in Anchorage - maybe not Fairbanks, definitely not Barrow.

When I lived in an Earthship (solar and wind powered, rain collection, passive solar construction) I made some recordings and found a lot of electrical quirks. I lived pretty near a power line, which maybe was interfering with some stuff, but I found that a lot of stuff would have weird lines on the display, maybe some whine in the signal, that sort of thing. It was a pretty old and slapped together electrical system though.

I liked that place.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:02 pm

A Minneapolis example:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/trunorth

A Minneapolis touring example (as in, solar panels on the touring van :shock: ):

http://www.cloudcult.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:56 pm

I seem to recall that I was told the Styx records were done at a solar studio. The studio was owned by Gary Loizzo who still has a place in Chicago called Pumpkin Recording.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:34 am

It's a very cool idea..but its hardly economical considering these types of systems cost so much..

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Avoid*Catsup wrote:It's a very cool idea..but its hardly economical considering these types of systems cost so much..
Initially that's what I thought too, and still reserve judgement on until I gather more info. I keep reading about all these tax breaks that make it seem more worthwhile. http://backwoodssolar.com/ has some info for example. I just wonder how much truth there is to all that- I'm not trying to buy a foreclosed house for $1.
:wink:

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

--

Post by radiationroom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:14 pm

If you want to go off grid, you should consider a wind-turbine in addition to solar panels. Plus you should also have a back-up generator that runs on propane for those windless, overcast afternoons that you have paid work that has to be delivered the next day.

Good luck on going gridless when living inside a town or city with draconion zoning laws - you might want to buy a few acres outside of town so you can do your solar panels and wind-turbines with minimal zoning grief.

Websites for you to check out....

http://www.homepower.com

http://www.thewatt.com

http://www.peakoil.com

http://www.capewind.org

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:23 pm

E-cue wrote:
Avoid*Catsup wrote:It's a very cool idea..but its hardly economical considering these types of systems cost so much..
Initially that's what I thought too, and still reserve judgement on until I gather more info. I keep reading about all these tax breaks that make it seem more worthwhile. http://backwoodssolar.com/ has some info for example. I just wonder how much truth there is to all that- I'm not trying to buy a foreclosed house for $1.
:wink:
they cost 10's of thousands..or so I have read..I dunno for sure though..

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:30 pm

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Solar Power for recording studio

Post by trodden » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:17 am

E-cue wrote:I I don't really care about the tree hugging advantages, but hey- why not... I'm more interested in if it's even worth considering for a small, project studio. Short term, Long term... Anyone have any direct experence?
what's so uncool about hugging trees and the effort to apply new ways of living that are more courteous to our dying world? embrace your inner caring self.

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:06 am

trodden wrote:
E-cue wrote:I I don't really care about the tree hugging advantages, but hey- why not... I'm more interested in if it's even worth considering for a small, project studio. Short term, Long term... Anyone have any direct experience?
what's so uncool about hugging trees and the effort to apply new ways of living that are more courteous to our dying world? embrace your inner caring self.
My point was to make sure this thread was focused on the business and application side of the topic of solar power. This forum is for practical application of "Wiring, acoustics and construction for home or commercial recording", not convos about social issues. If I wanted that silliness, I'd post in the Gearslutz Moan Zone and watch the fireworks blow up in their hands.

I hope I didn't harsh anyone's mellow.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Speaking as a financial analyst, I would think that getting an ROI (return on investment) would be tough given how much equipment would cost up front vs. the overall consumption of electricity of studio equipment.

The only wrinkle is whether you think it would help from a reliability(think brownout) standpoint. Maybe this is a way to get cleaner power (clean = consistent, noise free AC current).

As for doing this as a moral, ethical or fashion statement, that's up to you.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:52 pm

E-cue wrote:
trodden wrote: what's so uncool about hugging trees and the effort to apply new ways of living that are more courteous to our dying world? embrace your inner caring self.

I hope I didn't harsh anyone's mellow.
Al Gore is pretty pissed at you.