Career Advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

grilla
alignin' 24-trk

Career Advice?

Post by grilla » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 am

Hello, just registered, but a long time reader and looking for a little advice from some musical minds.

I am 26 years old, have been playing music at some capacity or another since age 5, have 10 years experience in bands, touring, recording, releasing records, booking, promotions, and gigging my ass off, own and operate a small ProToolsHD studio out of my dining room, make almost no money but work on stuff I enjoy or am involved with, produce a few young artists and help develop their talents, and except for piano lessons as a child I have no formal training, and I am looking for a life-long career as a record producer in this music business.

I have been offered the chance to have my tuition funded at a school or music program of my choice to help in the advancement of my career. I have looked into SAE, LA Recording Workshop, and a few others around town (screw M.I.), but am having trouble deciding if my direction should be towards engineering and the technical side of things, instruments and music theory and improving my musical ability, or more towards music business and that sort of thing. OR is there a place where I can get an equal balance of all three?

I am hoping to enroll soon and get started by the fall. Also, I kinda need to stay in LA too, so Berklee and the like are out of the question.

I am at a crossroads in my life and need some guidance. Any info, insights, suggestions, warnings, or reccomendations anyone of you might have will be greatly appreciated.

I'm consistantly impressed with the amount of knowledge to be gained simply by reading through these boards. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Sam
Peace & Respect

http://www.myspace.com/grilla
http://www.themanorstudio.com

The Manor Recording Studio
Los Angeles, CA

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:01 am

Start a record label, and record and produce your labels bands. That's what I did, and it's slowly starting to work out!! :]

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LewKellogg » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:03 am

My 2 cents...

If you don't already have one I suggest getting a four year degree if possible and working in studios etc. while you're in school to gain experience. Lots of folks are going to the "recording schools" that offer non-degree programs. No so many have four year degrees - It will put you in the minority and help you stand out from the crowd. It also shows that you can start and finish a complex task, you can dedicate yourself to something that takes a while, and you know how to learn. Those are the kinds of things employers look for.

Also, if you get an electronics related or music related or engineering related (like electrical or mechanical) degree it will be relevant. Don't think that the Horatio Alger approach is the only way to go.
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I would have to say that a "holistic" approach to producing/engineering will put you a shoulder above most others in either field. I would venture to guess that most "pros" have worked with too many engineers who have too little of a producers ear or musicality, and plenty of producers who don't have the technical knowledge to know what to ask for. I know I have.

Learn all you can, on both sides of that fence.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:17 pm

Going to "school" is a complete and utter waste of time. Build on the success you're having now, start charging real money for what you do, work your way into working at established rooms and work toward a room of your own. Lots to be done recording live remotes as well.

Dive in headfirst, and don't dare look back. Oh. And don't take anyone's advice. Do what you feel from the heart. You know best.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Before you spend a bunch of money on school, even if it's someone else's, do some research to see if you can find some examples of people who became successful producers after attending recording school. To my knowledge that isn't a common career path but I could be wrong. If you want to work in post production for a radio or tv station then recording school would make more sense.

I don't have anything against recording school but I would suggest that you give it some thought to determine if it is the best means to reach your goal.

This last point involves the concept of opportunity cost. Maybe you don't have this option but what if you could just have the money for school (a tidy sum I assume) and use it and the next 4 years to really hammer your recording efforts. Record as many projects as you can, network yourself into your regional music scene, do some live sound gigs, adopt a few young bands and practice your producer chops, and whatever else you can do to move this endeavor forward. Which scenario would have you farther ahead in 4 years? In 10 years?

The job I got out of college required a degree. In the music business, however, I've never heard of a band choosing one producer over another based on a recording degree. The bottom line question you have to ask yourself is if attending a recording school will be the best use of your time and funds to become a successful producer.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:14 am

Going to a 4 year institution: seconded!

Making a career out of music can be as likely as a good high-school basketball player making it in the NBA. It can happen, but you better have a backup!

I think you should continue on your path, ask lots of questions, work with new people, bands, etc. while you go to school.

I'd love to make money in the biz, but I'm not waiting for that to happen. Now I teach Digital Music in a digital arts program.. couldn't have gotten that job without a degree.

Plus, you could get a degree in something like communications/media, and minor in music... possibilities are endless.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm

IMO, I would strive to get a BS in EE, personally it was one of the best things I ever did! Lots of career choices and flexibility in this field.....TD

happybeat
audio school

Post by happybeat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:56 am

As a looong time producer, I'd say not to bother with recording school; you'll pick up some tech info, and an inflated idea of your own abilities, but none of the real world production skills you need to survive - ie a high degree of musicality, some tech knowledge, and crucially, people and business skills. Sounds to me like you've got all the makings, but probably lack confidence and a breadth of experience. Consider continuing to develop and record in your own studio, and find a mentor who will fill your knowledge gaps and point you in the right direction in a practical way. That would save you loads of time and a lot of money. Send me an email at britishproducer@hotmail.com if you'd like to explore the idea.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:41 am

stevebozz wrote:Making a career out of music can be as likely as a good high-school basketball player making it in the NBA. It can happen, but you better have a backup!
I have always enjoyed working just to the side of my dream field. My goal is to own and operate a large facility for recording music, Voice Over, Foley, video post production, restoration and everything else there is to be recorded.

Even though I have not realized this dream yet, I am making a good living doing all of things listed above, just not for myself. I record corporate conferences, I do voice over for wedding videos, I do post production on commercial spots, and I do audio restoration of surveillance footage.

I love music and film and want nothing more than to work in these fields exclusively, but It's really nice being able to say that I make my living as an engineer. However boring the projects may turn out to be.

Careers can be found, if you don't mind digging ditches.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:57 pm

I don't agree with the getting a 'backup' college degree approach.

This is such a difficult field to get into that anything that distracts you from it, particularly something as extensive as a 4 year degree, will most likely derail you completely.

That said, I have seen nothing of value come for 'vocation' based degrees, particularly in the audio field.

I would recomend soliciting assistanceship positions with a studio or someone who's work you respect, and using your financial assistance to support you while you work at these usually below-survival paying apprenticeships.

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:41 pm

Anyone who tells you that college is a waste of time is blowing smoke up your ass and your potential future. Why can't he record music and be involved in the business while he is getting a degree?!?

He can. That said. School (2 or 4 year) will NOT guarantee a job. I graduated from a 4 year school with a degree in engineering/production in May of 2005. It took me 9 months to stumble on some install work for a new studio. Then another 4 months of working for them before they approached me about coming on full-time once the studio is finished. Mind you that was 4 months of them saying "jump" and me saying "how hi?"
... it all starts with a song ...

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:01 am

There are hundreds of ways to find your career in music. Every route will get you there if you personally have what it takes. The fee for any of those schools could be used towards gear if you're decent at marketing and know how to keep a small studio busy.

As more of a do-it-yourselfer, I'd suggest producing a recording for your own band and see what kind of attention it gets. If it's really good, you could be booked for months with the right efforts.

It's all about education which can come from anywhere if you're open to it.

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LewKellogg » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:51 am

Interesting points of view. I'll add a twist:

I should not have made the assumptions I made when I recommended a 4 year school. Your question was ?should I go to recording school?? I don't believe anyone on this board has enough information to give you any specific advice. Telling you go to school or not go to school tells you how we see getting there. Trouble is we're not you and we have a different view of what there "is". We (and you especially) need more information. SO I?ll suggest this:

First define "success". You want to be a producer. That's a pretty wide definition of success. How about more specifics and basics. How much money is OK for you? 12K a year - 26K? 150K? Think about what kind of car you'll drive, recording gear you'll have etc. Do you want to work with people or gear or a mix? How much do you want to travel? Where do you want to live? Do you want lots of friends? Do you want lots of free time? Do you need to produce top 100 releases to be a success? Top 10? Grammys? How are you going to feel about travel when you're old - Like 40 :-) Do you want a family? What do you want your life to be like?

Figure as much of this stuff as you can out first. Ask us about this stuff and we can help give you things to consider. Kind of like asking which mic is best for vocals? Well, it depends on <insert list of things to consider here>?

Next look around at Producer "jobs" of all kinds. For example you can produce and mentor young musicians at a community college and be very successful. Is that for you? I don't know... Ask folks here and everywhere you can about which types of jobs/careers meet your criteria. What are they like? Who has them? How many are there? Where are they? You get the picture?

After you do those two things then match wants to jobs? then look at what it takes to get there and who can help. If getting your newly defined dream career doesn't require school or school gets in the way - don't go.

Now, here?s why I said 4 year school ? if I couldn?t clearly define all of this I would hedge my bets and go to a 4 year school. 26 is really not that much different than 30. There is really not much down side to a 4 year school.

Believe it or not, I went the other way. I dropped out of a four year school after a year to tour with a pretty good band ? But that?s another story and there are lots of those. What I?m saying is: find the end of your own story first ? Then begin writing...
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

grilla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by grilla » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:08 am

A tremendous amount of great ideas! Thanks to everyone for their input. This has really got me thinking! I'll post back with an update as I make progress/decisions (if anyone's interested?)

Thanks Again!
Peace & Respect

http://www.myspace.com/grilla
http://www.themanorstudio.com

The Manor Recording Studio
Los Angeles, CA