Doctor wants to put a hole in my eardrum.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Doctor wants to put a hole in my eardrum.

Post by weatherbox » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:18 pm

I've got a bad middle ear infection, and the doc wants to lance my eardrum to suck out the fluid that's got me imbalanced and not hearing properly. I'm supposed to be on a flight friday and this is apparently neccesary to have done to prevent pressure damage. However, this scares the hell out of me - putting a hole into my eardrum?! Has anyone had this done? Given the short term of it, I haven't had much time to research the procedure, the ENT doc, anything - so yeah, I'm just really scared of having my right ear destroyed by this. Anyone with experience here, please let me know.
Last edited by weatherbox on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: Doctor wants to put a hole in my eardrum. HELP.

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:39 pm

weatherbox wrote:I've got a bad middle ear infection, and the doc wants to lance my eardrum to suck out the fluid that's got me imbalanced and not hearing properly. I'm supposed to be on a flight friday and this is apparently neccesary to have done to prevent pressure damage. However, this scares the hell out of me - putting a hole into my eardrum?! Has anyone had this done? Given the short term of it, I haven't had much time to research the procedure, the ENT doc, anything - so yeah, I'm just really scared of having my right ear destroyed by this. Anyone with experience here, please let me know.
I had a tube put in my ear through the eardrum as a child and it never healed afterwards.
I'd say if you can cancel your flight and wait for the fluid to subside it would be best.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Get a second opinion. Is your flight to somewhere close enough that you could maybe drive or take a train?

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Over an ocean, unfortunately. This friday morning.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:24 pm

myringotomy is what the procedure is called..i think..

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:34 pm

yeah, that's the one. I suppose I'm just freaking out a little given the extremely short time frame here - not being able to learn a lot about it, and the ENT doc doing it. Just the thought of puncturing the eardrum frightens me as someone who's already had to come to grips with some hearing loss and has a terrible fear of incurring more.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:37 pm

there is always the chance of more loss unfortunately..but without that surgery your worse off..if you got fluid back there I'm not sure if there is any way else to get rid of it..

did your doc say anything about putting in a tube?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Well, on the one hand you have us random freaks telling you it sounds like kind of a scary situation, and on the other hand you have an MD who has had four years of med school, five years or more of residency training, and probably several years of experience since the residency.

You want advice? My advice is: Listen to the doctor. If you don't trust the doctor, get a 2nd opinion. All doctors are sometimes wrong (and a few doctors are always wrong) but the average ENT surgeon is a lot less likely to be wrong about esoteric matters of the eardrum than any of us might be.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:29 pm

oh, I know, I'm just super nervous. Just so counterintuitive... "we're going to cut a hole in your eardrum... so that you don't get a hole in your eardrum." I've broken most every major bone in my body (loved sports as a kid despite having 0% athletic ability) but anything involving the ears or eyes (photography is my job, recording is my relaxation) I'm a total wimp. Not that I distrust the doctor at all, just wanted to hear from other people who may have had this done. Because, as stated, I'm a total wimp.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Tatertot wrote:Well, on the one hand you have us random freaks telling you it sounds like kind of a scary situation, and on the other hand you have an MD who has had four years of med school, five years or more of residency training, and probably several years of experience since the residency.

You want advice? My advice is: Listen to the doctor. If you don't trust the doctor, get a 2nd opinion. All doctors are sometimes wrong (and a few doctors are always wrong) but the average ENT surgeon is a lot less likely to be wrong about esoteric matters of the eardrum than any of us might be.
That's sage advice!

See another doc to help you feel better about the situation.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:05 pm

I had my right eardrum lanced when I was a teenager for the same reason you describe - I had very bad ear infection and had to have it done to drain the fluid. Then I had to have the same eardrum lanced again when I was in college because I burst it from going snow skiing with a cold and couldn't clear it when we drove down off the mountain. It healed up, got infected, and had to be lanced to drain the fluid two days later. Both times the doctor told me to do it and I just did whatever the guy in the white coat said.

That was over 25 years ago and my hearing has remained excellent. I'm over 50 now and I have trouble hearing a 15khz tone but that ain't bad for someone my age.

I don't claim to be an ear expert but my understanding is that you are a lot better off to have your eardrum lanced than to let an infection continue. The ear infection can do a lot more harm to your hearing than lancing your eardrum. Your eardrum heals very fast from the lancing but if it tears on it's own it's a bigger wound.

Regarding your flight on Friday, if possible I would stay on the ground. If you have to go, eat Sudafed to open your sinuses up as much as possible.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:20 am

Sorry to hear that your infection hasn't improved weatherbox! If you have time, I would get a second opinion, but it sounds like you don't have much of a choice if you have to fly. As others have said, I would think the flight poses a greater risk with all that pressure behind you eardrum. Best of luck!

-Josh

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am

I've had life long problems with my right ear. It's probably only thanks to my ENT that I'm not totaly deaf. Do what he says. It'll be fine. I've had my ear drum reconstructed, lanced and had tubes put in and I can still just fine. The only trouble I have with my hearing is all self inflicted (too many years of standing in front of a loud amp).
You'll suffer more and possibly do more damage living with fluid behind your ear drum than you will by having it lanced.

justhitthebutton
gettin' sounds

Post by justhitthebutton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am

my brothers all had tubes in their ears as kids. they all healed fine.
the drummer of my old band had a severe infection in his inner ear that eventually hardened and became almost as hard as bone. they had to cut his ear off, from the lower lobe to the upper corner where it meets the face again, fold it over. slice his eardrum open, fold it over and CUT the hardened bone like material out. he was completely deaf in that ear for 3 months, since his inner ear bones were removed as well. after it all healed they cut it back open to reassemble it. he now has prosthetic ear bones and a grafted eardrum. he's still playing drums and has had his hearing checked every 2 months. he's doing fine. this was not an ENT doc though. id go and get a second opinion TODAY.
can it really look better than it sounds?

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 am

After all morning calling around to find an opening, I'm seeing another extremely qualified ENT tomorrow morning for a second opinion, then will make the call after that as to whether or not I'm going to get lanced. Feeling a bit better about things now given that. Thanks for the feedback. I've had medical work not heal properly before (can't spread the fingers of my right hand as a result) so got a bit spooked at this one given the delicate nature of the ear.