A no-no: Playing other sessions for clients.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

Other projects that depressed me.....

Post by Jeff Roberts » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:48 pm

A decade or three ago I was working with an engineer named David Rivkin.

One day he played me a demo he was working on, "Soft and Wet" by the then unsigned artist named Prince. Ouch.

Another day he played me different song he was working on, "Funky Town", by Lipps Inc.

Major depression!

Try and imagine hearing those two pieces before anyone ever heard of them, before the airplay, before the record contracts, in the control room where they were mixed! They made my little album production seem kind of, not earth shaking.......

David Rivkin had his name changed to David Z by Prince.

I always play other projects for clients. Some times for education, sometimes to show off, never to put someone down.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Re: Other projects that depressed me.....

Post by ryanlikestorock » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:37 am

Jeff Roberts wrote:I always play other projects for clients. Some times for education, sometimes to show off, never to put someone down.
That's one of the risks I was trying to highlight here. Thanks for putting it into words like this. Also, sometimes showing off isn't the best idea either. haha. :)

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am

brad347 wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:It just mocks the insecure. That's the problem. Treat your artists- ALL OF THEM- like they are rock stars and you'll never have a problem. Keep them as the focus of the session. In particular, just like the press, never become friends with the client.
There is much truth and wisdom in this statement.
There is a point where you can't be the nice guy with a client. I have seen guys come in with no direction what so ever, and now the engineer is also producing for these guys invoulentarily, of course you can be a prick and just let them record a bunch of trash, but then your name is on a peice of garbage, and who needs that. Treating them to much like rockstars kind of breaks down the client/contractor relationship. Freinds, that is the engineers call, if you hit it off with a group, and they gel well with you right off the bat I can see becoming friends with them, otherwise you could come off a bit creepy. "Oh you guys are great do you need anything, anything at all!?" and on the next breath you keep them at bay. Sounds more like something an A&R guy would do.
Of course I am not really the best person to offer a point of reference I imagine. Just an opinion.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:36 pm

I've GOT to feel friendly towards the folks I work with, or I won't work with them. I am not, however, an engineer or studio for hire. I pick who I work with as much as they pick me. Being "nice" or "mean" seem less important in my situation than being honest. If you can manage to be critical while being kind, you've done pretty well.
I also think listening to other recordings, (whether they're things I've worked on or something everyone knows) is VERY important, but TIMING is everything. choose significant moments, where the thing you want to play can facilitate creativity or loosen everyone up. It's a big responsibility being the one with the volume knob...
brian