A no-no: Playing other sessions for clients.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

A no-no: Playing other sessions for clients.

Post by ryanlikestorock » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:17 am

I'm learning how quickly this ruins the vibe of a session. So, just a note to anyone who might not have picked up on the damage this can do - NEVER play your other recording sessions for the client, even if you think they'd be interested. Wait for a meeting that doesn't include working on their record - either as friends or when they stop by to pay the bill, etc.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 am

I'm learning the same thing. It only makes them compare the music, or mix or something else undesirable to the situation at the time. Good thought.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:45 pm

also, don't play a shellac record right before you play your mix-in-progress for the client.

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:10 am

Yeah, if you're listening to other people's music, definitely end with something recorded poorly if you want your client feeling good about where you're at in his project so far. It's a bit evil to do this (and less important as you get better at what you're doing), but I definitely know the feeling of coming down from The Beatles.

Seventh Wave Studio
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: A no-no: Playing other sessions for clients.

Post by Seventh Wave Studio » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:41 am

ryanlikestorock wrote:I'm learning how quickly this ruins the vibe of a session. So, just a note to anyone who might not have picked up on the damage this can do - NEVER play your other recording sessions for the client, even if you think they'd be interested. Wait for a meeting that doesn't include working on their record - either as friends or when they stop by to pay the bill, etc.
Sounds like a good story in there..wanna share?
www.seventhwavestudio.com <----looky

"All we know is all we are"
(misheard lyric) Kurt Cobain

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 am

Hmmm. I guess there's a bigger sense of community in Charlotte than I thought. I've been playing other people's stuff for clients on sessions for years. I've never, ever had anyone get all down on their stuff or anything as a result of that. Of course, I make sure it's okay with the clients whose stuff I'm playing and I usually only do it if the clients I'm working with ask about a particular session, but everybody's situation is different so I've never had a problem. I don't really see the difference in this and playing a reference disc or a demo of your work for someone.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:54 pm

I guess it's all about timing and purpose. I know I've just been proud of something I've been working on and showed it to a client thinking they would share my enthusiasm. It usually just kills whatever vibe was making things so much fun in the first place.

I'm young, excited and somewhat stupid sometimes. haha

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:10 pm

I don't think that this should particularly be a "rule" in the studio. I've often played other sessions for clients to give them an idea of the capabilites of the studio and even give them production/instrumentation ideas. Plus if your shit sounds good, it just instills confidence in your client.
On another note, I always try to have somthing similar in genre playing when my clients show up to a session. Right now I'm waiting for some hip-hop kids to come down and am listening to Deltron 3030. Imagine if I had Kenny Rogers or somthing playing.

That would be (ahem), totally wack.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:57 pm

I have played different recordings for clients and it hasn't ever been an issue or killed any vibe. I usually do that if they ask about it because they will be friends with some of the members of other bands i am recording. They just say "Hey hows XXXXX recording coming along?" and I go "You wanna hear it." Then we usually get to work. No big deal.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:16 am

ryanlikestorock wrote:Yeah, if you're listening to other people's music, definitely end with something recorded poorly if you want your client feeling good about where you're at in his project so far. It's a bit evil to do this (and less important as you get better at what you're doing), but I definitely know the feeling of coming down from The Beatles.
Couldnt disagree more. I like playing all sorts of music in a session. I will play stuff just to get out of the song we are working on sometimes, and it might be Eve, it might be public enemy, it might be zepplin, or shellac, or jesus lizard, or chaves, or jawbox, or failure.... Whatever. I like music. It seems SOOOO defeatist to think that you cant make it sound as good as anything else ever recorded!

Its not that you shouldnt play other stuff... its that you should learn from that other stuff and make it happen in your session! Just my opinion I guess....

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:14 am

Well, I've been put in my place!

Maybe it isn't a rule. Maybe I should just get better with my timing or something. I just know it's killed a vibe before and figured I'd pass this info along.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Ryan, maybe this is only the case when the band sucks and doesn't know it ;)

Then they wonder why they don't sound like ____ (a band that doesn't suck) or think you are making unfavorable comparisons to them when playing other material. I could be wrong but I think I know exactly which session you are talking bout.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:59 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
ryanlikestorock wrote:Yeah, if you're listening to other people's music, definitely end with something recorded poorly if you want your client feeling good about where you're at in his project so far. It's a bit evil to do this (and less important as you get better at what you're doing), but I definitely know the feeling of coming down from The Beatles.
Couldnt disagree more. I like playing all sorts of music in a session. I will play stuff just to get out of the song we are working on sometimes, and it might be Eve, it might be public enemy, it might be zepplin, or shellac, or jesus lizard, or chaves, or jawbox, or failure.... Whatever. I like music. It seems SOOOO defeatist to think that you cant make it sound as good as anything else ever recorded!

Its not that you shouldnt play other stuff... its that you should learn from that other stuff and make it happen in your session! Just my opinion I guess....
Well, to add to this... you're not going to make Zeppelin sound like Tool. Both AMAZING bands, but with completely different styles, soundscapes, and time periods. Have your mates compare apples to apples if they want to compare anything. Maybe they're just uptight?
I'm all about a little kick and snare

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:59 pm

It just mocks the insecure. That's the problem. Treat your artists- ALL OF THEM- like they are rock stars and you'll never have a problem. Keep them as the focus of the session. In particular, just like the press, never become friends with the client.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:58 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:It just mocks the insecure. That's the problem. Treat your artists- ALL OF THEM- like they are rock stars and you'll never have a problem. Keep them as the focus of the session. In particular, just like the press, never become friends with the client.
There is much truth and wisdom in this statement.