Soffit / Flush mounting

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Soffit / Flush mounting

Post by dynomike » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:12 pm

I am thinking about getting some Tannoy System 12's or System 1200's to use as "mains" (though they are technically midfields) for my home studio. My dad is a professional renovator so I was thinking of soffit mounting them, but I haven't found a great deal of information on the subject. I read a few pages from genelec and ethan winer but they kind of scared me.

Is the bass-boost effect going to be a big problem? I'd really like to avoid slapping an equalizer across the main output of my mixer, though I could certainly do it (its a Ramsa DA7 with a great 32 bit eq). If anyone has experience with this, or knows anything about soffit mounting, please let me know! Thanks.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:26 pm

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=718

You'll have to log in to the forum (which means registering if you haven't) to see the pics.....

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:00 pm

If you're going to go with Tannoys get the System 15 DMTs they have the paper based driver which is supposed to be superior to the propelyne based driver in the 8s and 12s. I have a pair of the 15s and love them. A pair just went on eBay for only $1500 (I paid around $2300 on eBay for mine). New they run over 3K.

Bill

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:58 pm

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:55 am

mr scratchy esq wrote:If you're going to go with Tannoys get the System 15 DMTs they have the paper based driver which is supposed to be superior to the propelyne based driver in the 8s and 12s. I have a pair of the 15s and love them. A pair just went on eBay for only $1500 (I paid around $2300 on eBay for mine). New they run over 3K.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm just not sure if my budget can stretch that high! :( I have been in rooms with the System 15's before, and they did sound good. But I also used the System 800's extensively last year, as nearfields, and they also sounded shockingly good - so I'm not too worried about the propelyne driver. I'll keep thinking about it though.

Thanks for the links all around!

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't think I've EVER been in a room that didn't have a 31-band graphic on the mains for some slight tuning.

Soffits can either be GREAT if done right, or bring you absolute hell & complete misery if done wrong...and they're more often done 'wrong' then 'right'.

If you go the soffit route then the room & speakers have to be designed to work as a system...just popping some holes into the wall & building "a shelf" for them to sit on is the wrong approach unless you don't care about them being accurate and vibrating the rest of the building...annoying the neighbours and causing all kinds of bad juju in the process.

Then again, when were "mains" EVER about accuracy?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ideally you're gonna rip your front wall down...get some neoprene & concrete block...build the cabinets for the speakers to sit in & mount/secure them on the concrete block...then build a new wall AROUND the soffit with nothing structural from the wall touching the soffit...just drywall & your finish layers. You'll have to figure out all the angles & stuff before hand...both walls & ceiling & figure out where the 1st order reflections are going & how to control them.

HUGE pain in the ass & possibly HIGHLY educational as it was the last time I got involved in a crazy build.

But it's the only way to build a soffit correctly.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com