need rec. on 8 channels of easy to use comp for live use

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maz
buyin' a studio

need rec. on 8 channels of easy to use comp for live use

Post by maz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 am

I'm helping put together a live system and need something around 8 channels of decent compression that is easy to use. The system operators won't always be the best, so compressors that are hard to screw up are what I'm looking for.

As far as the 8 channel part of the equation, the Presonus ACP88 is great, but not super user friendly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thx!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: need rec. on 8 channels of easy to use comp for live use

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:56 am

maz wrote:I'm helping put together a live system and need something around 8 channels of decent compression that is easy to use. The system operators won't always be the best, so compressors that are hard to screw up are what I'm looking for.

As far as the 8 channel part of the equation, the Presonus ACP88 is great, but not super user friendly.

thx!
ACP88. How much more user friendly do you need? Will there be 7 year olds operating the system? ;)

Maybe get 8 Dbx 160a's then?

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: need rec. on 8 channels of easy to use comp for live use

Post by maz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:06 am

joel hamilton wrote:
maz wrote:I'm helping put together a live system and need something around 8 channels of decent compression that is easy to use. The system operators won't always be the best, so compressors that are hard to screw up are what I'm looking for.

thx!
ACP88. How much more user friendly do you need? Will there be 7 year olds operating the system? ;)

Maybe get 8 Dbx 160a's then?
;) Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do... I was kind of hoping for something with no release control. That seems to be the easiest thing to screw up.

And not 7 year olds, but a few teenagers who are still learning (it's for a church). The comps will be used on basically the same players each week so I could always set everything and tell them to only touch the threshold.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:07 am

yeah... I would have recommended the Presonus, too...

I would suggest that anyone who can't figure them out, shouldn't be told where the insert cables are anyway.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 am

just to be devil's advocate.... why would you even want to put a compressor into the signal chain if someone who doesn't know how to use them is going to be running it?

Not knowing how to set the compressor will ruin the sound faster than anything.... I'd rather just skip the compressor entirely than have one in the chain that isn't set right.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:05 am

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do... I was kind of hoping for something with no release control. That seems to be the easiest thing to screw up.
I'm pretty sure that those presonus 8 compressors have and AUTO function on the release. Push that button and presto. No messing with the release knob.

I would think it be good to have the option for either auto or manual so that eventually your guys could learn what it does.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:19 pm

thanks- the presonus it is... and the obvious plan is to train the operators on the comps, and keep them bypassed until they know what they are doing. There are some engineers there who will know how to use them already... I just was wondering if there was something out there even more simple!

Thanks for confirming my thoughts...

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:04 pm

As boring as this sounds, make em read the manual.