Smassey's new limiter pissed on my expensive plugs....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:18 pm

have you tried psp mixpack for saturation? Very cool set of plugins, I use the mix compressor and saturation plugin all the time. Originally I bought them after reading the Charles Dye articles in digizine because I couldn't afford analog channel, and I went for mixpack rather than vintage warmer thinking mixpack was just vintage warmer broken into parts, but it turns out it is different and I wound up buying vintage warmer too. I think PSP just came out with a mastering limiter too- their stuff is cool and I use them on every mix. I generally use the saturator on the main bus and sometimes on individual tracks (snare especially), then use vintage warmer on the drum bus. Good luck.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:16 pm

Yeah I've used the PSP vintage warmer plug but the Smassey limiter is the best limiting plug in made thus far in my opinion...I'm not pissing on the PSP stuff I'm just totally floored by this thing and felt it necessary to stress how much I really really love it...

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Just finished using the VTC3 and Tapehead pretty extensively on a couple of mixes. Absolutely top sounding stuff. I love that EQ. Simple and sweet sounding. Fantastic for adding top to ribbons. Tapehead adds a nice bottom/lower mid bump to everything, even in the default mode. Useful for thickening up thin sources. Haven't really found overdriving it useful for much yet though. Gonna give the CT4 and L2007 a workout on the next bunch o mixes...

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:49 am

inverseroom wrote:Yeah, I emailed him and he said maybe someday...but honestly, what's more fun for a developer, inventing new things and working on them, or endlessly translating stuff you were finished with a year ago? If he's making a decent living with what he already does, you can hardly blame him for resisting porting his stuff.

Still...

Can anyone recommend a really awesome, affordable, mastering-quality VST limiter and tape saturation plugin? :oops:
You've probably heard this before, but Voxengo makes really good plugs for the price. I still can't afford many, but the Elephant limiter, and GlissEQ plugs are two of my favorites. I've demo'd most of them and the warmifier seems cool, but I didn't buy it (sounded like a saturation plug).

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:29 am

Been rocking the compressor plug on the main vocals (along with outboard stuff) for the sound of it. That compressor plug is seriously the only one wworth using... Amazing work. The tape head plug is simply amazing for elements that havent hit tape, like an AC gtr or something... Really useful plug ins seem relatively rare, compared to the incredible glut of widgets that exist with pretty pictures of vintage limiters... The massey stuff actually works like "real" gear.... Amazing.
cant say it enough. Everyone should get these things that cares about mixing. In or out of the box these things will really help get things working...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:12 pm

FNM wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Yeah, I emailed him and he said maybe someday...but honestly, what's more fun for a developer, inventing new things and working on them, or endlessly translating stuff you were finished with a year ago? If he's making a decent living with what he already does, you can hardly blame him for resisting porting his stuff.

Still...

Can anyone recommend a really awesome, affordable, mastering-quality VST limiter and tape saturation plugin? :oops:
You've probably heard this before, but Voxengo makes really good plugs for the price. I still can't afford many, but the Elephant limiter, and GlissEQ plugs are two of my favorites. I've demo'd most of them and the warmifier seems cool, but I didn't buy it (sounded like a saturation plug).
I think I will try out Lampthruster...

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

k

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:47 am

yeah yeah yeah! Please please please port this shit to AU and/or VST. I will buy it, with money.

Fucking RTAS. Eat my tits, Digidesign.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:18 am

So, not to horse a dead beat, but I take it this Massey Limiter would be a good choice fer home-brew mastering?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:17 am

wedge wrote:So, not to horse a dead beat, but I take it this Massey Limiter would be a good choice fer home-brew mastering?
Yes.
I have been using the limiter for "loud listeners" and "quasi-mastered" sounding references since the moment it got here. I have been LOVING the "vibrant" setting. You can really get some [gag,cough] "musical" limiting out of that thing.
It simply sounds really good.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:10 am

These plugs sound very cool, I'll have to check 'em out!

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:09 am

I LOVE Massey's stuff. Lately I've been using Tape Head, and the CT4 on each of my mix groups, and it's been working really well. CT4 on the mix buss too... just a tiny bit. Awesome.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I doubt this is possible yet but, is there any wrapper thingy that can get these to work in DP 5.1...the UB version. I am having to switch over for a macbook.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:56 pm

inverseroom wrote: Can anyone recommend a really awesome, affordable, mastering-quality VST limiter and tape saturation plugin? :oops:
I think you want the Voxengo Elephant.
Best VST limiter for the cash.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Slider wrote:
inverseroom wrote: Can anyone recommend a really awesome, affordable, mastering-quality VST limiter and tape saturation plugin? :oops:
I think you want the Voxengo Elephant.
Best VST limiter for the cash.
Sorry just saw the post above.
But I agree, the voxengo stuff is really cool.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:22 am

I ended up with MixPack, actually...I even started a whole thread about it. I haven't actually used all the plugs yet, but Saturator is fantastic. It is very understated and useful, and kills on drums.