What Did You Work On Today? 6-27-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:44 am

Shawn1272 wrote:What did you work on Garges?
Well, if it's not apparent by now, I'm mixing a record at Electrical Audio. This place is astoundingly cool. Here are a few things about yesterday:

Had Hot Doug's for lunch yesterday. I totally get it now.

I really, really want a Massenburg limiter.

The Calrec Soundfield mic is very cool.

Flying Faders is an unbelievebly cool automation system.

I'm actually using far less outboard gear than I though I would on these mixes.

Everyone here is really nice and very accomodating, but not in an ass-kissing sort of way. The interns, the staff (Greg Norman, in particular)... everybody is great. It's a very relaxing place to work and it's very easy to get about anything you could reasonably want with very little effort.

xonlocust is a blast. He recommended some really excellent food and after going out with us last night, the band liked him so much, they asked him to come back and hang. He was not the least bit intrusive and in fact made the late-night work a little less laborious. Thanks for the kind words, Nick.

Mike, thanks for the recommendations on A vs. B. I think for this project, A was the right decision.

I'm having a great time!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:53 am

cgarges wrote:
Shawn1272 wrote:What did you work on Garges?
xonlocust is a blast. He recommended some really excellent food and after going out with us last night, the band liked him so much, they asked him to come back and hang. He was not the least bit intrusive and in fact made the late-night work a little less laborious. Thanks for the kind words, Nick.
oh, don't you worry - i've been saving up all the questions to ask you about your process while the band's not around.... i was making tons of mental notes - i had my intern stance on! as they say, "watch and learn, boy!"

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:05 pm

i'm a day late, i guess (story of my life) but I went to a mastering session and am happy to be done with my new EP. A few songs are up on myspace, click on "JH" in my signature.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:32 am

i'm even later. on tuesday i finally started mixing my bands new record, we tracked it a couple months ago but its just been sitting on my computer since then cause i had a billion other things to finish for other folks. yunno the ones who give me money.

last night i mastered a record that i tracked and mixed as well. which i find completely frustrating and i never enjoy doing it. i can't be objective at all and i don't think i do a good job...but people are always 'hey you can master it too, right?' and i'm a pushover so i say yeah. but i think i'm gonna have to stop offering that and make them take it elsewhere for mastering. and then i can bitch up a storm when it comes back all squashed and shitty. :D

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:28 am

I'm back in construction mode making a few gobos for this weekend's session. I'm starting tracking on what will be a drawn out album, due to band members and my own schedule- but I think it'll all work out well... a little preparation goes a long way...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:51 pm

cgarges wrote: I'm actually using far less outboard gear than I though I would on these mixes.
the fresher the fish, the less ketchup you want to put on it.

makes you wonder about who didnt watch the electirc company and missed that lesson about drowning your food...

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.