My PCM 70 is messed up. Low output on one side! Help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

My PCM 70 is messed up. Low output on one side! Help!

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:59 am

Hi everyone. I posted this on the Slutz place, but I guess I should try here too. I got a PCM70 a few days ago. I hooked it through my DAW and it sounded real good. The only problem is unever output. Im talking, I have one input from the 70 turned all the way down, and the other cranked all the way up. Being so, it brings tons of noise to the right channel...why is this?? I cleaned the right output (where it's weak), looked inside, changed cables (about 10 times), tried different outlets, did a system reset/restore..still nothing. I got it on eBay and emailed the seller, but he just suggested the things I had already tried. He seems like an honest guy, 300+ Xactions with 100% + feedback..its just now I'm stuck with this screwed up, yet great, box and it's very frusterating...help! :evil: :x
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 am

I'd say it's gonna need a tech to look at it. No magic bullets on this one.

Regards

ju

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:53 am

thats what I figured...I only wish there was some magic jumper inside or something, ya know ? :(
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:09 am

Sounds like a cold solder point to me. Take the top off and I'm sure you'll find one of the leads on the balanced output jack connectors isn't making steady contact. Simple solder fix. 9 times out of 10 it's a cold solder point.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:01 am

nope. I wish. I opened it and checked, everythings connecting solid..like I said though, \there is some audio..I dont think it's a connection problem
David L
KC2UUM

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:54 pm

Did it ship with a manual?

If so, look for the full-reset command. I forget how to do it on that box, but it's gonna be a combination of buttons pressed upon power up. If it did not come with a manual, I am sure you can download a .pdf of it from the Lexicon (equivalent) site.

Also, you could remove the Lithium battery and reset the register. Don't know if yours came with an additional set of programs stored there, but sometimes people upgrade those and run 2 versions of software on there.

Next would be to look at the circuit boards and search for burnt components. Then look to the traces on the circuit boards and see if something is irregular there. Check all connection points to the board from the various harnesses that are attached. That's about all I can recommend from my own expertise. I'd take it to a tech to begin beeping it out.

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:24 am

Jim Fabiano is THE lexicon service guy. Fortunately, the PCM 70 is one of the units he still services. His email is jimfabiano@rcn.com. Best lexicon tech on the east coast,worked for lexicon for about 15 yrs and helped develop some of thier best known gear.contact him, hes good.........