TapeOp Issue# 16: "Building you own Mics...??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kilgore Trout
audio school graduate

TapeOp Issue# 16: "Building you own Mics...??

Post by Kilgore Trout » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Was looking back through my old stack of TapeOp back issues, and came accross...in issue #16 pp20-22....instructions on building your own condensor mics for around $20!!!..it was written by Joel Cameron..

heres a quote from the article:
Firstly, it uses an extremely simple circuit with very few componets. As such there's not much stuff in it to screw up the sound. In audio design simple is generally better, and this is the epitome of simplicity.

Secondly, because it is such a simple circuit, it is very easy to build, even if you have no previous electronics building experience. With moderate care and attention anyone can easily build a pair of these mics in an afternnon.

I am not a DIY gear guy AT ALL, but I was intrigued by this..

I am going to try and build 2 of 'em, and would love some help....

My questions:

Has anyone here built these mics, and tried them?

How do they sound?

There is a parts list. Some of the stuff listed is self-explanatory, as where to get it.

But can I get all this stuff at a music shop, Radio Shack, and of course Home Cheapo, or is there a better on-line resource???

If anyone's interested here's the list of parts:

CIRCUIT COMPONENTS:

(1) Panasonic WM-66AY Omnidirectional Mic Cartridge (the article has a part# and a phone number of a place to order it from)

(1) pF ceramic disc capacitor

(1) 10uF mylar or metalized polypropylene capacitor (DO NOT substitute an electrolyctic!!)

(1) 2.2 Kohm 1% metal film resistor

(1) 9-volt battery terminal with leads

(1) 9 volt Alkaline battery
Insulated copper wire

HARDWARE:

(1) Matal enclosure for the power supply (Imortant for grounding)

(1) 9-volt battery mount (clip types can be purchased at Radio Shack or you can use velcro, etc...)

(1) Panel-mount male XLR connector

(1) Panel mount female XLR connector

(1)Male XLR cable connector (for the mic output to PSU)

(4) Rubber feet (not necessary, but I like them for the bottom of the PSU!)

He then mentions sealing the entire back of the cartridge with a non-conductive epoxy..

There's also 3 very basic schematics, or diagrams...
the third being power supply for Unbalanced 1/4" Input.

If anyones interested, and of course if it is allowed, I can post pictures of the diagrams..

I am sure I am going to have a few questions during the build, but I want to focus on parts right now....

Joel mentions several times that if one takes one's time, that this is not complicated, and well worth it...

But there aren't any photos of the process....just the end result..

I guess I am feeling ambitious

So has anyone built these?

How do they sound?

Are the parts easy to get and where?

Cheers, kt
[/i]
Tree Hugging Dirt Worshipper

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Just do a search here for "tapeop omni". At least half the people here have probably built them at some point.

In a nutshell:
They do sound good, the Panasonic capsule is now the WM-61A, and you can get all the electronic bits from Digi-Key.

Kilgore Trout
audio school graduate

Post by Kilgore Trout » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks man!!!

I checked the digi-key website, and was bummed the part wasn't available...

You made my day!!!

What about the non-conductive epoxy???

Digi key has it?

Is there a brand name?

Cheers, trout
Tree Hugging Dirt Worshipper

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Without digging up the original article, I would tend to think there is "nothing special" about the epoxy. AFAIK, epoxy is inherently non-conductive unless some special additives are mixed in.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:20 am

The Panasonic capsules have changed around a couple times since the article - lead free, etc. Last I knew the WM-61 was the equivalent, maybe it's changed again.

I didn't use epoxy, just hot glue on mine. Or you could use silicone sealant. It's not that critical, really.

qbert1
gettin' sounds

Post by qbert1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:06 am

It was one of my first DIY projects too and it was totally worth it! They sound very accurate and flat throughout the frequency band. I have a bunch of cardioid mics that accentuate the high end. These Tape Op omni's were a breath of fresh air. Omni and flat. They're one of the first mics I use on my tenor saxophone. And for 20ish bucks!

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:42 am

has anyone tried using the cardioid capsules that are also available from panasonic? would any other changes be necessary in the design?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:28 pm

effector wrote:has anyone tried using the cardioid capsules that are also available from panasonic? would any other changes be necessary in the design?
We need a sticky - this comes up every few months.

http://www.mp3forkidz.com/mic

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:56 pm

Scodiddly wrote:The Panasonic capsules have changed around a couple times since the article - lead free, etc. Last I knew the WM-61 was the equivalent, maybe it's changed again.
Looks like the WM-61A is still around . . . Digikey will sell it to you for like two dollars.

Part # P9925-ND

Oddly enough, the WM-60AY (but not the 66AY) omni capsule also exists on their site, as an "obsolete part" -- not clear if they can get it.

Part # P9959-ND

[edited 'cause my digikey links didn't work]
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

cprescott1972
audio school graduate

More parts questions...

Post by cprescott1972 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:03 am

It looks like the capsule is available now.(WM 61A) Good news! I was wondering about the disc capacitors... The listing is a for a 1000 pF Ceramic disc capcitor. When I looked it up on DigiKey there were a bunch of different options regarding voltage rating and tolerance and temperature coefiicients... Do these matter in making this mic correctly? Sorry for the naive question. It's my first electronic attempt.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Be sure to order a few extra capsules, you might damage the capsule while soldering the leads.
Kyle

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Soldering the leads on the capsules is the only hard part of these mics. They really do sound good for the cash/time you put into them but the capsules are a pain.

I have considered getting the cardiod capsules and giving that a go.. Another thought was maybe making a jelkin disk or one of these:

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=curr ... escription

jonmatifa
audio school graduate

Post by jonmatifa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:52 am

I'm sure the Karma Micros are about the same thing, you can get them as matched pairs right now for $20.