subliminal messages

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

twinkletoes62
pluggin' in mics

subliminal messages

Post by twinkletoes62 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:55 pm

1)Do you believe the hype that almost every other record has masquerading done to them on at least a couple of songs....and do you think these messages really have any impact on the subconcious?
2)Are they illegal?If not someone tell me how to do this on Cubase LE which is what I'm using,I think I may be interested in recording some funny ones,no satanic things though,just something Jim Carrey might say. :shock:

Att,
william.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:31 pm

On a friend's song I recorded, at the end of his vocal he kept repeating "cranberry sauce" in his best John Lennon voice. I just automated the volume really low and left it in. Never made anyone want to eat cranberries, though.

twinkletoes62
pluggin' in mics

Post by twinkletoes62 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm

Yeah I think the assumptions some people and groups make on this is..staggering to put it mildly.I don't know how people could buy a rap record and be offended by the language either.... :lol: ..it's beyond my comprehension.

Anyway,how is it that you can record them to sound backwards with a computer recording..I know it's easy to do with tape,but have no idea how people do it on cubase or pro tools...I think inserting a couple of non-sensical things ought to be fun. 8)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:09 pm

twinkletoes62 wrote: Anyway,how is it that you can record them to sound backwards with a computer recording..I know it's easy to do with tape,but have no idea how people do it on cubase or pro tools...I think inserting a couple of non-sensical things ought to be fun. 8)
Most audio programs have a function that allows you to reverse the sound file.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Of all the dozens and dozens of records I've made with people, we've only done the 'subliminal' or 'backwards' hidden message thing, well, I don't know if we've ever done it. Maybe once or twice... I can't recall.

And maybe that's a shame... :)

just sayin'.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:06 pm

It's all about Pattern Recognition.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:23 pm

Cute!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:31 pm

One thing that we did on our first label-sponsored record (cause we had alot more time on our hands) to relieve stress was to record a phrase, reverse it, and learn to say it backwards as close as we could. it sounds weird by itself, but when you reverse it once more it sounds like a complete lunatic speaking, and you can actually understand it pretty well. This can (and was) be used to great effect. It never made it on the record, but we had some good laughs at other peoples expense in the studio.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

Nano_606
audio school graduate

Post by Nano_606 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:49 pm

I didn't think people still did this kind of stuff, I thought it was just in the 80's when "devil worship" was a big marketing success. I don't think I could do it with a straight face. I would feel sooo cheessyy.

twinkletoes62
pluggin' in mics

Post by twinkletoes62 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 am

I'll check and see if I can reverse the vocal track on cubase le....I bet there are at least a couple of phrases which can be misconstrued by the paranoid masses.... :lol:

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:47 am

One thing that we did on our first label-sponsored record (cause we had alot more time on our hands) to relieve stress was to record a phrase, reverse it, and learn to say it backwards as close as we could. it sounds weird by itself, but when you reverse it once more it sounds like a complete lunatic speaking, and you can actually understand it pretty well. This can (and was) be used to great effect. It never made it on the record, but we had some good laughs at other peoples expense in the studio.
this was the technique employed for all of the creepy "lodge" scenes in twin peaks.

twinkletoes62
pluggin' in mics

Post by twinkletoes62 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:21 am

Well,I reversed the audio tracks just to see if there were any messages hidden in there somewhere and there was nothing tangible.I suppose it is hard for them to just show up accidentally as many claim. 8)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:06 am

there are a bunch of published studies on subliminals in medical journals, etc..

please support your local library

YOU WILL SUPPORT THE LIBRARY IT'S A GOOD IDEA

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:26 am

The thing that always killed me about backwards masking is that...ok, so if you play the track backwards, you hear, "eat kittens."

But that means that if you play the track forwards, you receive subconscious instructions to "sssnettik tee."

?! And that would compel me to do what exactly? Have a nice cup of tea? Seems like a good thing, if you ask me.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I still love Rob Halford's comment on the Judas Priest "Stained Class" backmasking trial...

"They said that the backmasking said 'do it, do it, do it'. Okay... do what?"
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's