Adding 8 more i/o to my MOTU

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Adding 8 more i/o to my MOTU

Post by alexdingley » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm looking to add more i/o to my MOTU 896.

Honestly, I don't really need more pre-amps... just line ins/outs.

Has anyone here got experience with the Alesis AI3 (their adat to analog i/o box)

And... i honestly don't know of a lot of other brands of i/o like that one... but if anyone has suggestions... let's hear it.

-Alex

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Behringer ADA8000... 8 channels of lightpipe I/O with line and mic pre ins, line outs. $230 street.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:17 pm

how does sound quality compare between the behringer and the alesis? does either one have wordclock input?

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:40 pm

If your looking for analog I/O I have an immaculate 24 i/o with PCI 424 card for sale. Bought new and always in my smoke free studio.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:40 pm

effector wrote:how does sound quality compare between the behringer and the alesis? does either one have wordclock input?
the behry has alesis converters in it, the same ones. the pres are not bad if you need them and yes it has wordclock
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

severe
ass engineer

Post by severe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:14 am

The Tango is another inexpensive option. Although I'm not sure how much better it is than those mentioned.

edit: actually...im about to make a purchase as well, so if anyone could shine some light on this it would be great.
Joe Pyne (60s talk show host who sported a wooden leg) ? "So.. with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response - "So.. with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:31 am

I used to have the behringer and now (very temporarily) am using the alesis.. they both suck but work for the money.. at least with the alesis you can use other, better pre's. The behringer pres are quite clean and noiseless, but has a nasty thinnish sound b/c the headroom isn't actually that good and everything just sounds slappy and harsh. I'm really happy I dont' have mine anymore.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:32 am

I'd like to know if there's an 8-line-in to ADAT box that's somewhat better than the Behringer and Alesis, and which does 96kHz. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like there's a big gap in the market for 8 input converters, between the $200-ish boxes, and then stuff like Apogee (what is that, like $1500+?). I mean, there are boxes (Presonus and Motu come to mind) in the $600-$1,000 range that will convert 8 lines to ADAT. But there you're also paying for preamps, firewire and/or whatever else is crammed in there. Isn't there an 96k 8x converter in the $400 range?

Relatedly, has anybody used the SM Pro Audio A08? It converts 8 to Adat, and I think it's around $200. It doesn't do 96 kHz. And the line ins are unbalanced -- I'm not sure how detrimental it would be to connect an external pre into unbalanced inputs. If I wanted to settle for 44.1k, might the A08 do better conversion than the Behry or Alesis?

FWIW, my interest is in putting together a semi-mobile rig running the pres in an Onyx 1220 (which I have) into an 002R (which I'll be getting because my work is requiring me to get PT LE; otherwise, I'm a DP guy). I s'pose I could get the firewire card for the Onyx, but I'm wary about having two firewire interfaces running simultaneously; I think maybe LE or the 002R doesn't even support that. And for the $400 that the Onyx firewire card would cost, I'm hoping that I could find a more elegant and flexible solution -- a box that converts 8 lines to ADAT would also be handy in other setups.

Hoagie
http://seamonstersounds.com

fireproof
pushin' record

8 more i/o

Post by fireproof » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:14 am

I have 2 tango's as part of my 2408 mkII rig
the tangos sound way better then the 2408 and can take a good couple more db of signal.
made the clap your hands say yeah record with em and lots of other good stuff.
the price is right and they are built well

Adam

www.adamlasus.com
Last edited by fireproof on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:37 pm

I think that the ai-3 isnt worth having unless you put the extra cash in to get it BLA modded.

Has anyone had experience with that?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: 8 more i/o

Post by dynomike » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 pm

fireproof wrote:I have 2 tango's as part of my 2408 mkII rig
the tangos sound way better then the 2408 and can take a good couple more db of signal.
made the clap your hands say yeah record with em and lots of other good stuff.
the price is right and they are built well

Adam

www.adamlasus
thats really good to know adam. i've always been interested in the frontier stuff design / value wise but hadn't met anyone who actually USED them. i'll keep that in mind as the intermediary step for when i switch to an analog desk but can't afford the lynx aurora yet.

mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:41 pm

eh91311 wrote:Behringer ADA8000... 8 channels of lightpipe I/O with line and mic pre ins, line outs. $230 street.
I borrowed one while waiting for my Lynx converters to come in.
I only used it for a couple unimportant scratch tracks, but it was WAY better than I ever thought it would be. Damn I wish there was gear this cheap that sounded this good when I was starting out. The thing cost $160! great way to add some extra ins and outs through lightpipe.

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:56 am

I have a ADA8000 lightpiped into my DIGI 002. The pres sound basically the same. They aren't awesome, but I have no complaints. They are transparent and noiseless, which, if you contact washington music center in maryland, I think they got it for me for like $150-200 new. And they're the most helpful and knowledgable people on the staff. I like them better then sweetwater by a billion.
~Chris

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:58 am

+ they are step attenuated knobs.. which is cooler then the digi pres
~Chris