What's Your Favorites Plugins?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

What's Your Favorites Plugins?

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:04 am

I just read the thread on pirated plugins. I buy all my plugs and have had to decide which ones to invest in and which ones to let go because of bang for buck. Example: I had purchased Waves Gold bundle a few years ago but didn't upgrade once I moved to OSX. I went with several other plugin companies and am curious what everyone else would recommend as a favorite of theirs. Or what plugin and how it was used to attain a killer sound.

I love just about all of Universal Audio's UAD plugs for their card. Nice sounding, and useful. Plus kinda cool looking.

PSP-$149 later and I got 4 useful plugins. Their Mixpressor & Mixsaturator have been a secret weapon on snare and kick for several projects now.

I run Digital Performer and enjoy many of the stock plugs.

Guitar Rig 2-Very useful IMHO for DI guitar or bass. Although not much success with using the control surface yet. I am sure it's operator error.

How bout you?
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:30 am

i couldn't live without my rcomp. Also I love my moogerfooger analog delay, and truverb (which I often use instead of rverb, which is a dsp hog). The Pultec eq is amazing to me too.
call me rabbit fighter

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:33 am

yeah the rcomp is one I miss. I actually do need that one because it's a great plug. I also loved the L2 in Waves. The Trueverb was extremely useful but it was a pain because of the DSP useage. I love the verb in the UAD though now.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:33 am

Good thread...

Reverb: UAD Plate 140, though Ambience is cool, too.
Comp: PSP Vintage Warmer, w/ UAD 1176 a close second
EQ: UAD 1073, though the Pultec is nice also
Wierd: OhmForce Ohmboys delay - sweet oscillating wierdness

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:44 am

mjau wrote:Good thread...

How do you tend to use the Vintage Warmer? I used the demo version for awhile and started to get some good results. But I could see I needed to purchase it and work with it a bit before getting what I wanted out of it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 am

I like Altiverb and space designer and other convolution type reverbs..some of the waves comps are pretty cool..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 am

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I just let the Waves stuff go when I moved to OSX. And, the only one that I miss is Rverb. But, I really like the Plate 140 better anyway.
These days, I could mix records all day with just the UAD stuff. The Neve EQ is fantastic. I sometimes use some of the included plugs that came with Cubase SX. Magneto is useful on some things. I use APTrigga sometimes if I have something with drum tracks that's just not working for a song.

I'm sure that there are other plugs that I would find useful. But, I'm pretty happy working with the few that I have. Maybe it's because of the limited number of plugs that I use (plus the fact that I'm on a Mac) that I don't really see copy protection as so much of a hassle. I've heard the horror stories, though. and, I get that it's a big pain for some people.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:29 am

TV Lenny wrote:
mjau wrote:Good thread...

How do you tend to use the Vintage Warmer? I used the demo version for awhile and started to get some good results. But I could see I needed to purchase it and work with it a bit before getting what I wanted out of it.
There's a great many things that VW does not work well on - bass, for instance, has never been what I felt it excelled at. I like to use it across a drum buss, on some vocals, and I'll slap it across the mix if I'm doing a quick mix to post an idea to a friend.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 am

psp vintage warmer
altiverb
pluggo

panda

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:06 pm

wavearts trackplug 5 is sure handy and has like a 30 full demo.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:37 pm

When I first got all the bomb factory stuff I would use the 1176, La2a, Fairchild 660, Pultec eq, etc on everything. Honestly, I think the only thing I can't live without right now are the Renaissance eq's. I've grown to dislike most of the compressor plugins and really only use the Rcomp from time to time. I use TrueVerb quite a bit. I use the moog delay a lot too.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Altiverb! That's the one that would totally change what I'm doing mix-wise if I didn't have it.

I like the MW eq that comes with performer.

I also hhave gotten a lot of use from the ssl talkback comp plugin, and its free from their site. very effecty and not something you can use that much, but it has totally pumped some life into crappy keyboards and drum machine percussion for me. i use it a decent amount on little things but it does something interesting and different that my other outboard/plugin stuff doesn't do.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:48 pm

Another vote for DP's Masterworks EQ. Great plug-in.

I use the WAVES Ren Maxx And Musicians Bundles. Ren Comp a whole lot. I also use the TRacks Limiter for individual tracks from time to time, but I am looking to step up to something else soon (definitely a Universal Binary something). I also use Ozone 3 a whole lot in Peak to polish mixes.

Jeff

stu
audio school

Post by stu » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:28 pm

cranesong phoenix!!!! so awesome.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:29 pm

I am also surprised by how much I rely on DP MW EQ. I use PSP vintage warmer some too. I agree it is not useful on bass unless you tweek the heck out of it. I used the sonalksis demo up...and was very impressed with how transparent and yet how colored it can be--seemed versatile. I really really like the free SSL talkback mic comp for crazy crispy crunch, and ofcourse blockfish (another freebie) is great too for an interesting vocal effect. I really want altiverb, but I am afraid it might tempt me to stop using so many room mics...and I fear that would be not just cheating, but less fun as well.