Korby microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Korby microphones

Post by snuffinthepunk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:45 pm

anybody got any? whaddya think? Just curious. The office is in my building and I'm thinkin about goin over there tryin to get a job there as well, since it's at the same place as internship and I'd like to be able to learn n shizz.

*edit* oooh, that new "convertible" mic of theirs seems like it could be pretty choice.

www.korbyaudio.com
Last edited by snuffinthepunk on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

jjbohn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jjbohn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:49 pm

I've been wondering the same thing to. That one mic they have with the interchangeable capsules (251, 67, 47, and 12) seem kinda cool. It's kinda hard to believe that just changing the capsule is really gonna get you all of those mics but ya never know. Also, they are supposed to be hand-tuned (ear-tuned). I don't know how true that is, seems gimmicky.

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:51 pm

jjbohn wrote:I've been wondering the same thing to. That one mic they have with the interchangeable capsules (251, 67, 47, and 12) seem kinda cool. It's kinda hard to believe that just changing the capsule is really gonna get you all of those mics but ya never know. Also, they are supposed to be hand-tuned (ear-tuned). I don't know how true that is, seems gimmicky.
I'll find out sometime soon if I can...i'll stop by on one saturday morning or sometime monday and take a "tour" and talk to them since I've never actually been in the place. Really I just wanna go in and get a free t-shirt, haha.
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com

jjbohn

Post by jjbohn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Yeah I'm definitely gonna try to get in there one of these days and see if I can check the Kat 4 out. Maybe sometime this week.

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:02 am

i've been using the korby convertibles for a while now and they're excellent mics. don't expect them to sound like the originals, but being able to switch the capsules for different 'flavors' is very cool. as is not having to worry as much about maintenance as you would with vintage mics.

the build quality is excellent, and the sound is very detailed. if you've got the cash and are looking for versatile, high-quality tube mics, they're definitely worth checking out. if you want the sound of a 47, 67, etc, you should buy one of those... 8)

jjbohn

Post by jjbohn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:58 am

yeah that's what I figured about them. How quickly can you switch out the capsules?

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:12 pm

that's one of the coolest things about them - the capsules can be switched without powering off the mics (but don't forget to mute the monitors/headphones!), so basically instantaneously...

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:00 pm

So I stopped by over there today finally. Got the damn t-shirt!!! One of the guys also showed me around the facility. It appears to be true that they do tune mics with their ears...and the sound of their own voices. The room they do tuning in is quiet enough to drive a man mad! It's also enough to tell you if you need to not attend another concert until you have hearing protection (which I found out with as soon as the door shut).

They didn't have a kat 4 mic around at the time, they were all out somewhere doin something. I got to listen to a prototype they're working on though. Sounded pretty good except for the fact that it was a prototype and had some bugs to work out. But what prototype doesn't?

Anyhoot, cool place, cool people. Cool t-shirt too. :P
I love signal flow.

www.primalgear.com