Will Roland ever re-issue the Space Echo?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Will Roland ever re-issue the Space Echo?

Post by Echos Myron » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 am

Seems like it would be a good idea, no?

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

I think they think they already have. The Boss DD-20 delay has a space echo model in it. It sounds great to me, but I've never used a real space echo. No major manufacturer will ever make an actual tape-based delay again.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 am

I'd say no, unless it were a modeling box.

Roland are stubborn about re-issues; you know how many people would kill for a 303, 808, 909, Juno or a Jupiter? They won't even re-issue the Boss Spectrum pedal, which very sensible people, who must not have to pay rent or mortgages, spend $800 for.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 am

I'm quite positive they'll re-issue them immediately after I plop down the cash for an old one.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:37 am

I don't see it happening..fulltone has a new tube tape echo..but it runs more than a used roland..

http://www.fulltone.com/tte.asp

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:53 am

if something with chips in it breaks during the warantee period they throw it in the trash and just give you another one. it only costs them a couple bucks. When somthing mechanical breaks (which is extremely easy to happen in transport) it costs them a ton in repairs and losses.

The markup isn't as high, and people will buy their products anyway. So I'm predicting no way. It would have to be a more boutique company making short runs to make it cost effective. (read: Fulltone)

-marc

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:24 pm

I work at an indepedent music store in Seattle that carries Roland/Boss. Our rep came in a few months back to demo the new loop station and some other stuff for us before it hit the market. At one point he was talking about the ME-50 multi-effects guitar pedal and mentioned that it has the Slow Gear pedal in it. I got excited because I've always wanted a Slow Gear, but told him I didn't want everything else in the ME-50. He said something like, "Roland/Boss is a forward looking company and therefore won't reissue anything, ever." Boo.

-doc

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:22 pm

doc wrote:"Roland/Boss is a forward looking company and therefore won't reissue anything, ever." Boo.

-doc
Which totally explains this!

http://www.roland.com/products/en/JUNO-D/

Or this:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/software ... index.html

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:49 pm

how about the Hiwatt?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:43 pm

ctmsound wrote:
Which totally explains this!

http://www.uaudio.com/products/software ... index.html

I got a 201 not too long ago from a local guitar center for like $300 and the next time I went in there the guy who sold it to me told me about the new plug-in..he was like "it sounds just like the real thing"..

lightning_electronics

Post by lightning_electronics » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 pm

roland will never reissue the space echo, i guarantee.

why? because roland (boss) hasn't reissued the vb2, the sg1, or the sp1. these are insanely desireable pedals and boss has no plans to ever make them again. why? who knows. all i can suggest is getting a kit from buildyourownclone if you want one, unless you're a doctor or lawyer and can afford ebay insanity.

if boss won't reissue the "holy trinity", then god knows they don't have any plans for a space echo.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:08 am

in the early 90s i saw a Boss Spectrum in a pawn shop for $40 but thought nothing of it.

what does it sound like?

what does it even do?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 am

RefD wrote:in the early 90s i saw a Boss Spectrum in a pawn shop for $40 but thought nothing of it.

what does it sound like?

what does it even do?
the spectrum in short is a sort of booster for certain frequencies or exciter... a "de-muddifier" so to speak. Lotsa people used to use 'em on Fender Rhodes.[/list]

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 am

what does it do that a 10 band EQ or $50 BBE unit no one wants won't? Besides the cool name...

llllllllllllllllllllllll
ass engineer

Post by llllllllllllllllllllllll » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm

brad347 wrote:
RefD wrote:in the early 90s i saw a Boss Spectrum in a pawn shop for $40 but thought nothing of it.

what does it sound like?

what does it even do?
the spectrum in short is a sort of booster for certain frequencies or exciter... a "de-muddifier" so to speak. Lotsa people used to use 'em on Fender Rhodes.[/list]
I thought it was just supposed to sound like a cocked wah pedal.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll