midi foot controller for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

biographers
ass engineer

midi foot controller for recording

Post by biographers » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:50 am

Can anyone recommend a midi foot controller that I can use for recording with cubase that just has a simple on/off switch to stop and start recording? I can't seem to find anything. Thanks.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:11 pm

I Dunno if there is a single switch midi foot controller but you can look for any old foot pedal with midi and that should set you up. You'll probably want rewind anyway. ;)

lots of those 'every guitar effect you could ever want in a box' have midi and many are <50 used. you dont care if it's from 1988. actually those ART pedals from the 80s with the sweet pink writing and charming acute triangles sound horrible but are built like castle fortresses. most of them have midi.

Will

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am

yes and no - yes, the old Rolls pedals are built like tanks (I'm using one for switching channels on my Pod, 16 years after I bought it!), no it might not do what you want.

IIRC (it's been a while since I've tried to set this up) transport functions like play, rewind, record, stop, etc. use a different set of midi controls than the standard program-change messages sent by generic foot pedals.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 pm

that's true. I was working on the assumption that cubase will allow you to assign whatever cc you want to transport controls. I'm pretty sure sonar does this but it's been a while.

biographers
ass engineer

Post by biographers » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:16 pm

housepig wrote:yes and no - yes, the old Rolls pedals are built like tanks (I'm using one for switching channels on my Pod, 16 years after I bought it!), no it might not do what you want.

IIRC (it's been a while since I've tried to set this up) transport functions like play, rewind, record, stop, etc. use a different set of midi controls than the standard program-change messages sent by generic foot pedals.
what is IIRC?

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 pm

biographers wrote: what is IIRC?
sorry, shorthand for "if I remember correctly".

syrup - true, you might be able to map within the software, but I'm still thinking that transport controls need something different from a CC or program change message, I don't know if they'd be able to translate one to the other.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:07 am

sonar had (might still) 'midi shortcuts'. you could assign any program function to any midi note or cc - in the same dialog as assigning regular keyboard shortcuts. pretty neat actually. fuggin protools...