Reducing background noise

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Reducing background noise

Post by Glory_Morris » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:47 pm

Next week I have an appointment with a guy, wants to record acoustic guitar. Most of the time I work with heavy rock bands and noise isn't so much a problem.

In anticipation of potential background noise problems on this up-coming recording, I just wanted to see if anyone had some handy solutions. At my disposal, I have:

futon matress (buried somewhere)
15lb Elevator blanket

I have a vocal booth that's really, really quiet but there's no way he'd fit in it. My equipment is isolated in a control room, so the computer etc. is not a problem. I think it's just mostly road noise. I have 4 huge windows facing a busy street. Help...

jjbohn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jjbohn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:44 pm

I would try to isolate as much as possible on recording with your blankets. Kinda depends on how you have stuff configured in the room. Street noise is a little harder though, especially with the resources available to ya.

You could also try to remove some noise later with a noise removal plugin (Z-noise, or something similar).

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Post by Glory_Morris » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:50 pm

jjbohn wrote:You could also try to remove some noise later with a noise removal plugin (Z-noise, or something similar).
I didn't know you could do that. $800 is probably not gonna materialize though....More suggestions?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Adobe Audition has great noise reduction plugs included. $300.

Just having a screen of blankets / futons / cubicle walls behind the client helps a lot. If you have dynamic or ribbon mic options, that can help too (condensors can pick up a lot of environmental noise). Use the mic pickup patterns to your advantage.
Last edited by kayagum on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Any chance he can record late at night when the traffic problems would be less likely?

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:23 pm

have a flat frequency response omni mic positioned to pick up more of the background noise than the sounds being recorded...then flip it out of phase and blend it back in to the mix. that might help.

later,

chris
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines