The Future of Blu-Ray

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jjbohn
gimme a little kick & snare

The Future of Blu-Ray

Post by jjbohn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:56 pm

What do you guys think. Is Blu-Ray gonna go the distance or is it going to go the way of the beta or minidisc? I hope it does well.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:42 pm

It's has a possibility of going the way of beta and mini disk considering that there also another similar technology for disk storage. I forgot who it was designed by, but it could go either way.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:06 pm

It has a very good chance to do well. With the PS3 coming out that should really help blu-ray out.

treymonfauntre
ass engineer

Post by treymonfauntre » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:54 pm

blu ray will probably be the one thats going to win, hd dvd doesn't seem to stand a chance

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:36 am

This seems so simple, why don't they just use 24/96 as the new audio CD standard?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 am

Albert wrote:This seems so simple, why don't they just use 24/96 as the new audio CD standard?
most people want more than two songs on their cd.
high res audio is going to require a new delivery standard.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 am

what is blu-ray anyway?

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:42 am

Albert wrote:This seems so simple, why don't they just use 24/96 as the new audio CD standard?
Because a CD - by speced out physical definition that ties directly to all CD players, burners, glass mastering and pressing equipment already in place - is 16bit / 44.1kHz PCM only. Anything else is not a CD and requires different equipment to manufacture and play.

Anyway - 24bit/96kHz hi-res audio discs have been available for years already as DVD-A. Consumer indifference has pretty much doomed this format as far as I can tell - i.e. last year RIAA tracked 500,000 units of sales of DVD-A vs. 705million units of CD albums alone. It's a cool thing to have for yourself though if you're looking for a way to play your hi-res mixes back away from the confines of your DAW or studio - as there are some inexpensive DVD-A authoring apps out there now.

I think Blu-ray has a chance as larger & larger storeage formats seem to be needed these days - and I think consumers will go for having things like an entire series of shows available on single disc.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:45 am

nick_a wrote:what is blu-ray anyway?
http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Basically a disc designed to be a mega DVD - it can store either 25gigs on a single layer or 50gigs on a double layer - in other words 5 times as much as a single dual layer or double sided DVD can now.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:42 am

I don't think consumers will be at all willing to switch to another format so soon.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:57 am

Most of the blu-ray players will be backwards compatible with DVDs, so you really don't have to swith formats.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 am

saultime wrote:I don't think consumers will be at all willing to switch to another format so soon.
Lots of computer users I know of that would like to be able to back up 50gigs on a single disc though. So it might have a little bit of staying power as an archive format more than as a new movie format - although I can see how some folks might like to have every episode of a TV show's entire season on a single disc too. Main thing to try and sell it is that hardware manufacturers are planning on making Blu-ray players backwards compatible with DVD & CD by having two lasers in the same box.

Best regards,
Steve Berson