what piece of gear do you geuninely wish existed?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

what piece of gear do you geuninely wish existed?

Post by snuffinthepunk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 am

Something that would be able to use a lot and that would help you out in your tracking/mixing/whatever it is that you're doing. What kind of creative ideas can you come up with?
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:57 am

An analog console that has automation that can follow protools automation data (a la Tonelux) and has fully automated recall on all the eq and sends (motorized). I'll keep dreaming and it will probably never come true.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:19 am

A reasonably priced da and breakout box, pci or firewire, outputs only, for getting from the computer into my board and analog gear.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 am

An eight-track RADAR.

Version two of the Alesis Masterlink.

A side-address hypercardioid capsule for the Oktava MK012.

A relatively inexpensive installable atuomation system, preferably with motorized faders, that would fit relatively inexpensive consoles like the Topaz, Ghost, GS3000s, etc. Something similar to what Optifile was going for with Drax.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:57 am

An 8 channel 1073 clone mixer for around $1,500.

Realistically, maybe a Sytek MPX preamp loaded mixer for that price, with at least a 2 band EQ per channel and maybe one buss.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:07 am

I would love a piece of gear that convinces people that "perfect" is not hours of editing ITB, or 7 million hours of automating every single fader ITB, or tuning vocals for 9 hours, or eiting drum takes to the grid for 20 hours.

This piece of gear would be called the "emotional engagement box" and it would help to make records that stand the test of time and really engage the listener with the emotional content, and the beauty of organic elements. it would also embrace the beauty of well programmed electronics, in conjunction with an amazing vocal performance, by a person. The box would help quell the fears and insecurities of great musicians and let their actual styles come out of the speakers unfettered. Personality should not be underestimated.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:20 am

Mine would be a helmet that would create an extremely detailed MRI image of my brain, and record the data so it could be played back in someone else's brain after it was edited and enhanced. No more instruments, mics, preamps, compressors, etc. Just imagine the music and record it.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Some sort of modular all inwonder little box -- sort of like one of those standalone hard disc recorders -- except totally serviceable, user designable, and upgradeable. You could pick what clock, converters, preamps, plugins, i/o and monitoring options, blah blah, you wanted in it, you could add more later, upgrade when things become better. I don't think it would be hard to design something that, for instance, gave you the converters on an emu 1820m, the pres on say a focusrite octopre or something similar, the monitoring options of a modest mackie mixer, a hard drive you could get at circuit city -- all in one portable little box, without the need for fifteen racks and a billion cables and five different desks. I've found that each piece of gear I buy, I have to make serious compromises on one component or another.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 pm

ubertar wrote:Mine would be a helmet that would create an extremely detailed MRI image of my brain, and record the data so it could be played back in someone else's brain after it was edited and enhanced. No more instruments, mics, preamps, compressors, etc. Just imagine the music and record it.
I've been wanting something like this for twenty years!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:56 pm

dwlb wrote:
ubertar wrote:Mine would be a helmet that would create an extremely detailed MRI image of my brain, and record the data so it could be played back in someone else's brain after it was edited and enhanced. No more instruments, mics, preamps, compressors, etc. Just imagine the music and record it.
I've been wanting something like this for twenty years!
I've wanted this my whole life. I'm sure it will exist someday, too, but probably too late for us. By then, everything we've accomplished will be obsolete. Oh well.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:13 pm

I would like a touch screen computer to use with pro tools

If I could just move all the crap around on the screen with my hands (or both hands) instead of having to grab a mouse or use keyboard shortcuts, my workflow would speed up about 10 times i think...

because even a control surface is an extra layer between your brain and the program... i think that would be cool for just about any kind of program... sort of like minority report or something...

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:56 pm

This isn't mixing or recording related, but I wish there was an arppegiator pedal for guitar. I asked a famous pedal maker friend of mine if he could make it, and he said "no". Actually, he isn't a pedal maker or famous or my friend. But get an octave splitter (one up, one down) married to a timed delay, a you would have an arppegiator.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 pm

Well, you could start wearing a helmet around the studio and tell everyone that's what you're doing. And then when they play, just sit back, smile smartly, and go "exactly" while giving a thumbs up.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:19 pm

dokushoka wrote:An analog console that has automation that can follow protools automation data (a la Tonelux) and has fully automated recall on all the eq and sends (motorized). I'll keep dreaming and it will probably never come true.
SSL AWS900. http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/aws900plus.html

bad ass.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:41 pm

AstroDan wrote:This isn't mixing or recording related, but I wish there was an arppegiator pedal for guitar. I asked a famous pedal maker friend of mine if he could make it, and he said "no". Actually, he isn't a pedal maker or famous or my friend. But get an octave splitter (one up, one down) married to a timed delay, a you would have an arppegiator.
the sample and hold circuit on the robotalk pedal comes pretty close. didn't john schuman (sp?) make an analog arpeggiator for guitar?