I tell you, this stuff is so much fun

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

auralman
buyin' gear

I tell you, this stuff is so much fun

Post by auralman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:49 am

So here's the gist: I'm in a band with three other guys, we're all about 30ish with serious jobs in NYC, wives at home, kids/babies on the way, and the band doesn't really get together that often. I used to be a full time recording engineer, made records for a solid 5-6 years at top studio (one of the few that still exists!), and I've always been bitten by the bug - continued to collect microphones and assorted gear up until recently. At this point, I have a pretty decent collection built up.

So recently, I relocated to a smaller place and in turn, had to relinquish the space I was using for the gear. As I prepared to sell the bulk of it off, the band decided this was the perfect opportunty to record a new album. We'd been threatening to do this anyway, but this was really a great opportunity - I was moving on the 15th of July and our drummer had some space in his basement where drums, racks of gear, speakers, etc. could live for a while to make a record. I was/am thankful for the space, but was wary to record down there - it's an old victorian house with a musty cool basement, and there is NO space down there for the most part. But, no alternative. I headed over there the weekend before the big move with a bunch of carpets and foam to try to kill any reflections we could find, then the next day with a car full of gear. We set everything up in opposite corners and hoped for the best.

Yesterday, we finally began tracking - I did a guide track on acoustic/singing, and the drummer and bassist (going DI through a Brick) followed up. At this point, I've confirmed we're passing signal, made my mic pre choices, kept compressors and EQ out of the mix and made my best stab at placement possible with the limited space available in this less than ideal/guerilla environment. Crossed my fingers for the first playback...

AWESOME. The sounds thundered out the monitors as we all breathe a sigh of elation and relief. The drums sound absolutely alive and energetic, and the bass is massive, round and defined. This is more a testament to the fine players they are and their brilliant instruments (and the songs I suppose), but engineering wise, we're psyched.

No matter how in a rut I can get doing the day to day work grind or just getting too wrapped up in domesticated life in general, making a record remains one of the most fun things I've ever done with my clothes on. Just thought I'd share - a regular guy with a serious love for the art/science finding it burning strong still and again, keeping me young, alive, and believing in magic.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: I tell you, this stuff is so much fun

Post by mjau » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:14 am

auralman wrote:No matter how in a rut I can get doing the day to day work grind or just getting too wrapped up in domesticated life in general, making a record remains one of the most fun things I've ever done with my clothes on. Just thought I'd share - a regular guy with a serious love for the art/science finding it burning strong still and again, keeping me young, alive, and believing in magic.
Yeah, totally. I find myself at work daydreaming about getting home and setting up a mic or two and tracking whatever. I'm jealous of the people who manage to do this for a living.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 am

Right on Auralman....Keep us posted. Sounds like you're having fun. A damp musty basement....Exile On Main Street all over again....Good luck.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:01 pm

nice man!

It's always inspiring to hear stuff like this..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:45 am

auralman wrote:
No matter how in a rut I can get doing the day to day work grind or just getting too wrapped up in domesticated life in general, making a record remains one of the most fun things I've ever done with my clothes on.
You record with you clothes on? :lol:

Rock on Brother!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:21 am

drumsound wrote:
auralman wrote:
No matter how in a rut I can get doing the day to day work grind or just getting too wrapped up in domesticated life in general, making a record remains one of the most fun things I've ever done with my clothes on.
You record with you clothes on? :lol:

Rock on Brother!
Tony, I'm definitely calling first before I head over to the studio next time.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 am

Yes! At work I daydream about mic's & preamps, VU meters bouncing, blinking lights all over-all this inbetween browsing and posting on TapeOp.

Being in Milwaukee, trying to eek out any sort of regular or kind of recording job is tough to say the least. After years of struggling and gathering gear and experience I finally can go to a killer studio and record. Then I can go home and mix using excellent gear. I haven't played in a band for about 1 1/2 years now and I couldn't hold out any longer. So Thursday I am auditioning for a pretty cool group. We shall see what happens!

The best part about this obsession is it gets better with age.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Yes, I was feeling this today. I have recently opened my home studio to outside business and had my first band come in today. I felt like I had more of a feel for how and where a mic should be placed to get a certain sound moreso than any recording I've been a part of so far. It was really rewarding to play back and hear very clear, realistic sounds coming back at me. Can't wait to mix it!

-Bret