Looking for a good book about drumming technique

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lukeduplex
audio school graduate

Looking for a good book about drumming technique

Post by lukeduplex » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:28 pm

hi. sorry if this post doesn't fit in "gear talk" but i didn't know where else to put it.

I'm a new drummer and i can't really afford lessons. Does anyone know of a good (great) book(s) that speaks about technique? I'm not looking for rudiments or patterns or anything like that. Just technique tips. Some of the topics i am curious about:

-drum kit setup, different arrangements and who in the past has used what
-relaxation techniques, exercizes, breathing
-warmup procedures
-TUNING!

Thanks.

lucas
:P

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Try "Led Zeppelin II"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:38 pm

I'd start looking into some videos. It's really hard to describe technique in a book, although there are certainly good ones that can help. I don't think either would be a substitute for a good teacher who could watch what you're doing and offer specific suggestions to help you in particular, but there are a bunch of good videos out there that cover some of those areas.

Keep in mind that there are some videos that are great fun to watch from a "drummer's drummer" perspective and there are some that are really informative, educationally. You'll probably want the latter.

I've been a little out of the loop in terms of what good educational videos have come out in the last few years, so I may not be the best person to recommend what's available right now, but the semi-recent Billy Ward video is a really excellent video with a lot to think about from a really energetic drummer who thinks outside of the box without losing sight of actually playing music. Jim Brock also has a really terrific video out called "The Nature Of Drumming" that's incredibly under-rated and gives a nice perspective from a guy who's fantastic at doing the hand-drumming AND drumset thing. Bob Gatzen's tuning video is really excellent as well, if not a little dated (musically). Steve Gadd's early videos, while pretty prehistoric (they were some of the first that DCI produced), are amusing and cover some things like breathing and getting around the drumkit.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:13 pm

I'm not a drummer, but I've looked through all the books at the store, just to find some info, and the only one that I thought was half-way decent was Drumming for Dummies, which I bought. There's some stuff on stretching, some basics on notation. If there isn't any stuff on tuning check out www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com, where I guarantee you that you'll find more than is in any book. Look under the link for instruments, or something like that.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:54 pm

go to as many shows as you can. see as much live music as possible and watch those drummers and pick up from there.

i had a wierd hybrid of training - i started being"classically trained" but then augmented that tons with what applied to me in the real world. i think it depends on what you're into. i've always had a problem with modern drummer and all those drum videos cuz they are generally too wanky for my aesthetics (but make no mistake, those guys can tear it up way more than me! i'm just more ramones than steely dan). bottom line, get your hands/ears/eyes on as much as possible, and slowly you'll be able to sift out what's important/applicatble to you. it won't ALL be applicable to you, but you should be able to pick up stuff from EVERYWHERE, for DCI drum corp videos to basement shows to arena shows to jazz stuff or whatever.

but to make it easy, one very very simple thing i see so often with kit drummers that have room to improve, is that they play from the elbows and not the wrists. 9 times out of 10 if the drummer can't keep up to the band, that's the problem.

as far as positioning, it's all what's right for you. some of my favorite, mindblowing drummers, when i sit behind thier kit - i have no idea why they place thier stuff where they do, but they sound amazing when THEY play THIER kit. you develop a body memory of where your rack/crash/floor/ride are, and each individual is different. if you start looking around, you'll see everyone's sorta the same, yet sorta different at the same time if that makes sense.

if you REALL REALLY can't take lessons, at least do yourself the favor of making friends with some other drummers, and talking to them about how they approach things. everyone's got a different perspective, and a real human will be far more useful than an internet post or videos.

for warmups, one thing i do before i play is to stretch the forearms is put your sticks in your hands with both wrists facing you like you could slit them, then starting with the right side, flip inwards toward you, then the left will follow until both are outstretched again facing up, but with your shoulder joints and forearms get stretched. i'm sorta lazy now, so that's all i'll do before playing a show now, but if i REALLY want to loosen up - like before recording, i'll also do "stone killers" which is something i learned way back in drum corps days - you just do 1/8th notes on one hand:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 2 & 2 & 3 & 4 & - RIGHT HAND
3 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 4 & 2 & 3 & 4 & - LEFT HAND

very simple but focus on maintainint consistent/even speed on stroke and strength. if you're like 98% of the world your left hand will be weaker and you'll need to consciously cheat up your left and and down your right, which is also a good overall approach to the kit (ease on cymbals, whale on drums ). start where it's easy for you and slowly speed up/volume up until you start fucking up. keep at it till you get better and better. if you get any of those books there are tons of simlar cool warmup type excercises, but i hardly ever touch that sorta thing...

there are a million ways to skin a cat. :)

i guess another way to look at it, is: what kind of band do you want to be in? study that drummer and similar drummers. there's ringo - who's alternately the best and worst drummer in the world depending on how you view it...

tuning: http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

hope that helps some too.

and while i'm typing a way too long post, another rudimentary technique i fall back on occasionally is subdividing - try counting along while you play 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & during fills, or lead ins to songs or pretty much anything where you're having timing issues. in drum line stuff we'd just say out loud "dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit" etc. which i'll still do under my breath occasionally during recording or whatever (since you just feel the ones)...

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:34 am

xonlocust wrote: but to make it easy, one very very simple thing i see so often with kit drummers that have room to improve, is that they play from the elbows and not the wrists. 9 times out of 10 if the drummer can't keep up to the band, that's the problem.
Yea that's the biggest technique problem I see all the time along with whenever something is hard to play (particularly when bouncing the stick) the pinky fingers let go of the stick and point out...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:29 am

My own drumming isn't very good proof of this, but I think it's pretty helpful to play along with "real" music using isolation headphones - I still suck, but I get a little bit better every time I go through such a phase of practicing.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:06 am

Good info form everybody so far i'd say, my hints - don't discount rudiments, the thing about them is that you don't need to cram them al in to your brain, like "I learned all the rudiments", you need to work on a few of them constantly - you ARE playing them already.

The ones I always work on are;

Single stroke roll
Double stroke roll
paradiddle
paradiddlediddle (stupid name !)
Flam Taps
Flam triplets

The last two you could leave out to start with. Concentrate on evenness and consistensy while practicing - in practice we only condition ourselves and build technique to prepare for the performance, where technique is not a consideration - we need to be able to rely on it when we focus on other things - musicality, dynamics etc.

If you want some good DVD's, i'll second the Billy Ward "Big Time" DVD, as well as the steve jordan "The Groove Is Here" DVD and both the Stanton Moore ones - he plays a new orleans style that is mostly based around fairly easy (!) stickings, but plays funk rock, latin styles and all sorts with it, really musical and fun, not my natural style but I always get a lot out of watching him play on it and it gives me lotsa musical ideas.

Hope this helps,

Paul X
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 am

Paul Fury 161 wrote: paradiddlediddle (stupid name !)
the silliest rudiment name has to be the pata-fla-fla...

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:35 am

The New Breed by Gary Chester.

It doesn't have all the basic get-you-going kind of stuff you're talking about but I swear that if you play drums for thirty years you will never find a point when there isn't SOMETHING to be gleaned from this book.

As far as setup and tuning and whatnot, just go see a bunch of local drummers, as many as you can. Watch em and see how they set their kits up and then when they get done playing tell them you think they're great (if you genuinely do, of course) and then you can ask them any question you want. A properly massaged ego can yeild more information than you can possibly imagine...

Also, I hate to be the douchebag that just HAS to throw this in, but a good drum teacher is totally priceless and will help you grow a lot. There, I said it.

The first thing you should do is buy a metronome, though. Probably the most important thing, in my book. Drummers that don't/can't play with a metronome seriously piss me off.

Drums are way fun, go hit stuff!

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:56 pm

drummerworld.com has lots of good instructional videos from professional drummers, just go to the instructional section. It's also good to watch the classic jazz players on there, because of the way the deport themselves behind the kit. I'd particuarly reccomend repeated viewings of the buddy rich solos.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:30 am

JoJo Mayer is coming out with a video soon that just focuses on hand technique... it's not 'wanky' fusion solo with slap bass and dx7 shit (like most drum videos see to be), it is really just a guide to the many different styles of playing, from the different european grips to moeller method, brush technique etc... JoJo has some of the most refined technique of any musician I have played with, and can play almost ANY style authentically... I know there is some stuff on YouTube, but that tends to be only drum solos, since it's put up by drummers... too bad there isn't footage of him playing much with bands on there, although there is one of us playing from the Modern Drummer festival, but it is by far our most 'fusion-y' tune... but check it out if only to watch the way he plays, his wrists and fingers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLInn5Xf ... er%20nerve

I'll ask when his video is coming out... it is going to be a pretty great resource for the many different ways to play the drums from a mechanical perspective.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

if6was9
audio school graduate

Post by if6was9 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 am

Check out the book "John Bonham, A Thunder of Drums" by Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls. Besides being a biography, it has song by song analysis of his playing for most of the Zep catalog. It also has a very detailed history of the different drum sets that he used, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

It is a pretty good biography, too. I got mine from Amazon.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at http://HobbyhorseMusic.com

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:45 am

I'm with the rudiments. A drummer who hasn't learned them may be good at a few styles but can not be versatile.

Many years old, but still good, is Buddy Rich's book on rudiments.

sethmeister
pluggin' in mics

Post by sethmeister » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:21 am

A good DVD for absolute beginners is Tomy Igoe's "Getting Started On Drums" which you can get from Amazon.com. Covers setup, tuning, placement, getting a good basic matched grip, and gets you started playing.

Then Igoe's "Groove Essentials" is a great next step.

In addition to these I'd recommend the old standards:

- Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone
- Realistic Rock Drum Method by Carmine Appice

Get yourself started, and when you're ready at least vtake a few lessons to help ward off bad habits.

Seth