DAW control surface that resembles a tape machine remote?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:39 pm

I'm still holding out. It feels more and more like vapourware as we enter year 2 of 'it's coming'. but. damn.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 pm

formzero,

Don't get that particular mini keyboard because it's meant for use while you're holding the keyboard in your hands (as if it's a large remote for a Media Center PC, for example). Note that the "mouse" buttons are operated by the left thumb while the trackball is operated by the right thumb... while your 8 fingers are cradling the keyboard.

On the larger keyboard that you point out (which has a key layout that's smaller than a standard 104/105-key keyboard), the numeric keypad would come in handy with DAWs that have shortcuts assigned to the numerics.

Also, when you're doing precise edits, you'll want the larger trackball. Thumb-operated trackballs suck for anything other than web surfing (and even then, they suck).

(Yup, I've got a Media Center PC in my living room with a keyboard that has a built-in thumb-ball. And I curse at it often.)
Last edited by TapeOpAndy on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 pm

syrupcore wrote:I'm still holding out. It feels more and more like vapourware as we enter year 2 of 'it's coming'. but. damn.
I almost bought the 3-button jr version a couple months ago:

http://store.artlebedev.com/catalog/com ... ini-three/

but online reviews of it were so scathing (particularly for its very slow response time and its buggy driver) that I decided to spend my $160 on beer instead.

It's available from thinkgeek.com.