will this damage my amp?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Randy
tinnitus

will this damage my amp?

Post by Randy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:02 am

I have been putting a patch cable from the second input of my Bassman's Normal channel into the first input of the Bass channel when I want extra gain. I have only done this for short periods of time to get that sound for recordings.

Now we are starting to play live and I want that tone on stage. I don't want to use an overdrive pedal, it just sounds thin and wrong. I figure from a technical standpoint there should be no problem with this jumper scheme, tubes are pretty darned rugged, and a Bassman is overbuilt like a tank. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has done this and melted the innards.

Thanks.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: will this damage my amp?

Post by blakbeltjonez » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:37 am

Randy wrote:I have been putting a patch cable from the second input of my Bassman's Normal channel into the first input of the Bass channel when I want extra gain. I have only done this for short periods of time to get that sound for recordings.

Now we are starting to play live and I want that tone on stage. I don't want to use an overdrive pedal, it just sounds thin and wrong. I figure from a technical standpoint there should be no problem with this jumper scheme, tubes are pretty darned rugged, and a Bassman is overbuilt like a tank. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has done this and melted the innards.

Thanks.
nothing wrong with it at all - it's standard operating procedure for old Marshall amps that have 4 input jacks.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:34 am

it's no more dangerous than plugging two guitars into the amp at the same time and rocking out.

Those amps are over-engineered, but that won't even come into play because that is just what the amp was designed to do. Enjoy!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:40 pm

Did it on a 50 watt Silver Face for years; no problem.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

concur and encourage.

yes yes, it's built to handle that all day. and they sound huge that way.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. We did a show last night and I had it ripping at 6 and 9 all night long. Very creamy, with raspberries.

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

amp

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:52 pm

that's how i rock my JMP usually. and sometimes my bassman. it doesnt seem to drive the amp more.. it just seems to allow for more tonal options. but maybe im doing something wrong.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:11 pm

I have found that after about 6 or 7 on a single channel, the Bassman doesn't get any louder, just more and more distorted. Throwing the bass channel into the signal adds some nice lower midrange.