What could degrade a recording over a set?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

What could degrade a recording over a set?

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:18 pm

Going over some live tracks, and the first 5 sound fine, but half way through the sixth and on into the 11th track it becomes more and more degraded to the point where there is so much static noise I can't even make out the music. Nothing was adjusted, no levels were changed to my knowledge, and I was by the console nearly the whole time, and when I wasn't by no one else was either. I checked all my cords, connections, mics, nothing seems to be out of sorts. Could it have been ambient interference of some sort that I wouldn't have noticed? We were outdoors, so that may somehow have played a role in it. Hmmm...
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 pm

What kind of noise? Something electrical, like you were sharing power with the lighting? Or maybe the wind just picked up?

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Static noise, massive amounts of pop as well in parts where there was a lot of playing. I think they may have turned up thier own levels on thier amps, but even in parts where there were dynamic breakdowns it kept sounding unintellegible. One thing I didn't check were the diaphrams on my mics, but I imagine that would have a uniquely different effect. Perhaps heat. I am really wondering whether it is a factor of equiptment or elements.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:29 pm

What were you recording on?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Another guess: crummy mic stand that relaxed through the set, and a mic wound up physically touching something, and rattling?

Byron Jacquot

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:14 pm

Did anything in the chain have a battery in it that was dying?

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:46 am

About the recording, no wireless mics, but I think I figured out what happened finally, the longer I thought about it, I thought maybe they did adjust thier own levels somehow, and so when I talked to their guitar player, he had admitted they did push up the fade a few times as thier set went on. It's not my recording or my gear I was using, so no real loss for me, but it still bothered me, and then when I finally found out what had happened, I was a little peeved. But then why get frustrated over them doing it to themselves I guess. They have to live with the recording. Not to mention it was the first time I had done anything like this in a long time, and my name won't really be tagged onto it. I still wish they had just kept my mix dialed in the way it was though. It probably wasn't the best but it sounded clean at least. And now I have a few more things I can look for in the future to make sure this doesn't happen again. And I think maybe a tazer might be a good purchase to keep the "I know what I'm doing" guys off the board.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Wow - so they basically overloaded your recorder's inputs with their quest for more SPL.

Interesting to know... I suspect this is a good case to make for setting a little extra headroom into the chain for such an instance. Like when I get levels on a drummer I always allow that they are gonna hit a lot harder when they are going for a take then when getting sounds - even if I ask them to play as hard as they think they are going to possibly play.

EDIT: Whens I catch typos, I likes to fixes them.
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:34 pm

You could also use a pre-fade aux send for the feed to the recorder. Then they can make any adjustments they want to the faders without bothering your to-tape mix.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the inputs, all the advice that's been posted has been a help for sure and I will try out and apply it. Also trhinking of buying a cattle prod for a primary defense. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, been slammed with the return of my ship forthcoming and a family emergency, so plese forgive my absence in replying.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:19 pm

There is a hilarious list of little maxims about all the things that can go wrong with a live recording, written by Robert Fripp in the liner notes to one of the King Crimson archival live albums...maybe I will try and dig it up and post it later when I get around my CDs. My favorite rule was "Tuning a mellotron doesn't."
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."