What was your best garage sale/thrift store/pawn shop find?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Just this very morning I bought a conga (actually a tumba, the higher drum) for $25.
dB

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:16 pm

douglas baldwin wrote:Just this very morning I bought a conga (actually a tumba, the higher drum) for $25.
dB
the tumba is the lower of the three conga drums - the middle is a conga, and the higher one is the quinto...

wkrbee
pushin' record

pawn shop

Post by wkrbee » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:30 pm

KorgMS-20 $50 from the recycler-traded a Tascam P01 for an ARP 2600
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: pawn shop

Post by RefD » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:15 am

wkrbee wrote:KorgMS-20 $50 from the recycler-traded a Tascam P01 for an ARP 2600
lucky bastid. :shock:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: pawn shop

Post by blakbeltjonez » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:01 pm

wkrbee wrote:KorgMS-20 $50 from the recycler-traded a Tascam P01 for an ARP 2600
i hate you. diediediediedie!

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:07 am

My best garage sale find was a '73 Fender Twin Reverb back in 1999 or 2000. It was $200 and I was so poor that I actually had to ask the guy to hold it for $50 for me until the end of the week when I got paid! This was back in the day when music shops (aparantly) had stacks of late '60s Bassman heads stacked in the back for $50 each. I was so psyched about my purchase and couldn't believe it was so cheap.

Shortly thereafter ebay started becoming popular and I started becoming poorer. I was looking to sell it but they were BARELY fetching $200. . .sometimes $150! So I decided not to sell. . .and then. . .*sob*. . .had it stolen out of my car a year later!!! By this time (around 2002) eBay was pretty popular and I figured I could find another for dirt cheap. Log onto ebay. . .$500 to $1000! The $500 ones were BEAT TO HELL (mine was in GREAT shape and had the original tags!!). I finally found a suspicious looking one a few towns over from where mine was stolen. I contacted the seller right away to find more about where he got this amp. Turns out it wasn't mine, but amazingly similar, and a very cool guy! I stopped by to see it one night (isn't it great when a big eBay purchase is located 2 towns over??) and was instantly interested in all the mods he was doing on amps. To shorten this already long story. . .he's not my "amp guy." I'm like a walking ad for him these days because he does such good work (www.marshamps.com). The only downside is that he moved to florida. . .so now I get good deals. . .but I need to ship things up and down the coast. Oh well.

Still. . .for the time I had it. . .$200 for a twin reverb was hot. I wish i knew all of those were going to skyrocket (after everyone got over the "CBS fender was complete garbage. . .no exceptions" phase). I would have invested!

-James
HWJLHC?

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:55 am

I just scored a DAT player/recorder from a high-school marching band rummage sale... perfect condition, works awesome... ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR... optical ins/outs, 48 and 44 khz rec/playback... f-ing sweet...

I WIN!!!

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:36 pm

not my score, but i know a guy who just scored a Wurlitzer 200A in almost new condition for USD$25.

only problems are a scratchy pot on the vibrato controls and a slightly ratty (but functioning) mains cable that should be replaced.

i hate him so much. :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 pm

I just found this today at the thrift store for $6.50. It was in a ziploc bag with its cord next to a bread maker and an alarm clock. At first I thought it was a hair dryer attatchment but then I glanced the xlr plug. I still think it might be a hair dryer. Gotta figure out the pin-out on it so I can test it. I know coutant has some info on the altec 684 which I think is the omni version. This is the Altec 685a (for the search function, not cause you cant read). Anybody else ever seen/used one?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:57 pm

that looks like a cool find but that connector... might need a power supply of some sort that it's missing?

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:48 pm

lancebug wrote:I just found this today at the thrift store for $6.50. It was in a ziploc bag with its cord next to a bread maker and an alarm clock. At first I thought it was a hair dryer attatchment but then I glanced the xlr plug. I still think it might be a hair dryer. Gotta figure out the pin-out on it so I can test it. I know coutant has some info on the altec 684 which I think is the omni version. This is the Altec 685a (for the search function, not cause you cant read). Anybody else ever seen/used one?
I have one. Mine might be a 683a-- it's hard to tell. There's no label. Mine's silver colored. I like the green ones though. Mine came with the cable. The extra pins are for changing impedance, which is done at the cable, not at the mic. There are specs here: http://www.k-bay106.com/altec685.pdf

These are really cool mics. Use it anywhere you might use a 57. It's a nice alternative. Quality mic. Nice score.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 pm

RefD wrote:not my score, but i know a guy who just scored a Wurlitzer 200A in almost new condition for USD$25.

only problems are a scratchy pot on the vibrato controls and a slightly ratty (but functioning) mains cable that should be replaced.

I love you, though. <smoooch!>

actually, there's one sticky key and one dead key too, now that I've played it more. still, I think I did okay...
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:53 pm

housepig wrote:
RefD wrote:not my score, but i know a guy who just scored a Wurlitzer 200A in almost new condition for USD$25.

I love you, though. <smoooch!>

actually, there's one sticky key and one dead key too, now that I've played it more. still, I think I did okay...
no kidding!

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:42 pm

ubertar wrote:
lancebug wrote:I just found this today at the thrift store for $6.50. It was in a ziploc bag with its cord next to a bread maker and an alarm clock. At first I thought it was a hair dryer attatchment but then I glanced the xlr plug. I still think it might be a hair dryer. Gotta figure out the pin-out on it so I can test it. I know coutant has some info on the altec 684 which I think is the omni version. This is the Altec 685a (for the search function, not cause you cant read). Anybody else ever seen/used one?
I have one. Mine might be a 683a-- it's hard to tell. There's no label. Mine's silver colored. I like the green ones though. Mine came with the cable. The extra pins are for changing impedance, which is done at the cable, not at the mic. There are specs here: http://www.k-bay106.com/altec685.pdf

These are really cool mics. Use it anywhere you might use a 57. It's a nice alternative. Quality mic. Nice score.
Thanks for the link to the spec sheet. It came with the 5 pin xlr connected to a very weird 4 prong plug (2 flat vertcal prongs and 2 flat horizontal prongs). Rigging up a new cord should be a snap. Wish me luck on it not being broken, as the mics a bit worn.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:11 pm

p.s. Where did that pdf download from? I went to digging around to see if there were others of interest and only got a tour of what appears to be a country radio station from the mid- 1980's. The marketing director seems to be a lovely lady though.

(edit: nevermind if found the pdf page.... great resource!)