Last Minute Gear Advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Last Minute Gear Advice?

Post by AudioJunky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:56 pm

Well- I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a GR MNV1, Chandler Germanium, and an FMR RNC. I'll be throwing down for a mic in the future too..

This is my current setup:

Logic Pro
Motu828
Mackie HR824s
AT 3035

Tell me I'm doing the right thing.. or give me some serious advice on what you would do. I'm most likely purchasing tomorrow....

Thanks for your time,
Audiojunky

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:00 pm

You have two high-end preamps and only one mid-level mic. I'd skip one of the preamps and pick up some mics instead. For a grand (about the price of either of those pre's), you could have an AT-4050 and a Shinybox ribbon, and still have some change for a EH 12AY7 if you really wanted another preamp sound.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:04 pm

matyas wrote:You have two high-end preamps and only one mid-level mic. I'd skip one of the preamps and pick up some mics instead. For a grand (about the price of either of those pre's), you could have an AT-4050 and a Shinybox ribbon, and still have some change for a EH 12AY7 if you really wanted another preamp sound.
I agree...and it's always useful to have a good dynamic mic around.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:30 pm

What are you using it for? I can't imagine very many situations where it's useful to have more boutique preamps than mics.

-Eric

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

How about...

Post by AudioJunky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 pm

How about a Rode K2? I was thinking of getting this mic after the preamp buys.

I'll be using the setup for recording just about anything (except for drums.) Mainly vocals, guitar (elec & acoustic), Korg triton le 88, Rhodes Suitcase 73, various instruments like saxophone, flute, clarinet, and then hopefully utilizing the preamps for mastering.

I'm not familiar at all with the electroharmonix preamps or the shinybox...

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:11 pm

How do the pre's come in during the mastering? The shinyboxes are some chinese ribbon that people on the board really like. I think it may be the same as like the Nady RSM-2 or one of those. I don't actually know anything about anything, but given that your current setup includes no comps or pre's and just that one mic, I'd be tempted to get budger examples of a broader range of elements in each category, figure out what I like/dislike, sell the budge stuff and get the good version. Like maybe you'd be more into the RNLA for example. Also, without other mics it'll be hard to even tell if you like/dislike the preamps.

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Neumann

Post by AudioJunky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:21 pm

It seems that Neumann has a mic that is accessible in price

the TLM 103... been listening to it on the listening sessions.

Maybe I should hit the Great River MNV1, the Neumann TLM 103, and maybe the RNLA.. and call it a day.