Bootleg programs, universal binaries: help a proaudio newbie

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marlonious Thunk
audio school

Bootleg programs, universal binaries: help a proaudio newbie

Post by Marlonious Thunk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:42 am

So I am a college student (read: no money) looking to get a very basic home studio set up with the following components to be bought: a new computer (new iMac), a Presonus interface, and my friend's copy of digital performer. I'm not trying to record pro quality albums with this, just be able to do some demo quality multitracking at home as well as sequence MIDI for film scoring.

So my questions are: does DP 4 have a download to be compatible with the Intel running iMacs? Can I download stuff from MOTU if its not my copy of the program (I've been told I can)? Will I be able to download universal binary versions of all the DP plug-ins? Should I just get a powermac G4 instead and simplify my life? Is this whole plan completely stupid?

Any direction that any of you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Marlon

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:30 am

the whole plan is stupid in that you're planning on spending a couple of thousand bucks on a computer and hardware and then justifying the theft of the software by saying that you have no money.

use whatever free software is probably going to be bundled with your interface. or, use Garageband.

then save for your own copy of DP or whatever software you choose.

being poor is often the reason that people turn to crime to get what they want. but, it's no excuse for knowingly stealing something. and, it's particularly offensive to me since I just got the cash together to LEGALLY PURCHASE my copy of DP5.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:44 am

Perhaps you should use garageband which came free with your computer?

Another low cost alt. is Traktion, though I haven't tried it on OS X.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:30 am

The Presonus interface comes with Cubase LE or whatever. Decent to get you started, but if you buy a MOTU interface, they give you Audiodesk, which is DP without the MIDI. Great program. Plus you'll save $100 or so when you decide to upgrade to DP. Cross-grade.

Universal binaries are not out yet for MOTU.

There are also plenty of free pro-quality audio apps out there that are open-source.

Jeff

Marlonious Thunk
audio school

Post by Marlonious Thunk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. I honestly wasn't expecting to be chastised for my morals concerning software piracy (theres a pretty lengthy thread for that ethical battle to be fought), and I'm sorry to offend any who feel strongly about that. However, I simply can't afford DP right now and have no moral qualms with using a friend's copy as an educational tool in the time being. The rich kids at school with me are keeping the software developers fed. Either way its a moot point because DP isn't intel compatible.

That being said, I have another question regarding a more legit approach to home recordin g- lets say I keep my old Del and run a inexpensive sequencing program in it... how do I overcome my computer's lack of a firewire port? Are there USB interfaces that don't lag (I get horrible lag on my USB MIDI connector.)? Does Cubase LE or Sonar have video sync capabillity/MIDI?

Sorry for my cluelessness.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Firewire cards can be installed on almost any machine with PCI slots. And they're not expenisive (I just got one online for about $15 with shipping. Take a look around...

And please explore methods within your budget as opposed to breaking licensing agreements and/or laws. Basically, if your friend loans you some sortware, and they're really not using it, there is nothing wrong with that. But if they and you are both using it at approximately the same time (installed and executable copies on both machines) that's most likely not legal or at least kosher. And generally really not cool.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:39 pm

You don't have to rationalize everything, right?

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:22 pm

logic express is $150 with the academic discount

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:32 pm

I think we scared him away with our rigid morals

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Tatertot wrote:I think we scared him away with our rigid morals
No, but hoefully got him, and others in his kinda position thinking some...

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:25 am

MAybe someone should mention that there's a practical argument against getting started on pirated software: The support you need isn't there, the possibility to upgrade isn't there, the likelihood of losing data b/c of compatibility issues between different softwares, etc. etc.
Moral argument aside, working from pirated software isn't such a great idea anyway.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:57 am

Copying software isn't 'theft'. It's 'copyright infringement'. Big difference.

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LewKellogg » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:57 am

Karma.
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:20 pm

sparky wrote:Copying software isn't 'theft'. It's 'copyright infringement'. Big difference.
Technically, this is true. But by taking something that isn't yours, that you'd have to pay for to legally use or posess, the difference is moot. Very small difference.
Not saying you're doing this, but I'm sick of that argument being used to justify 'copyright infringement'. That it is somehow is less crummy. It isn't. I come in from the angle of defending artists' (rights holders') rights to choose how, where, and for how much their work is distributed, but the same basic tenets apply.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:06 pm

The current slant on this, by those who still think it's okay to steal software, is that WE'VE ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD and that it's therefore okay by some strange process of cause and effect.