midi controller and footpedal setup question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

biographers
ass engineer

midi controller and footpedal setup question

Post by biographers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:23 am

I am currently trying to buy a midi 25-key controller, but the one I want, the e-mu xboard 25 (lots of knobs, cheap) only has a midi out jack and no midi in jack. The problem with this is I already own a midi footpedal that I want to assign start/stop recording functions to, but I won't be able to connect it to the e-mu controller.

So, would I be able to plug the emu in using USB and plug the controller in to my midi in jack on my presonus firebox interface and have them both work simultaneously or do I need them in a chain in order for them to work? Basically, I want to be able to hit the footswitch, start recording, then tweak something on the emu, then stop recording. Would I be able to do this using two different midi connections (usb and midi)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I've been mulling over this for days. Thanks.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:03 am

does your footpedal only have a midi out and no midi in as well? if the footpedal has an in, you could daisychain the keyboard through the footpedal.

otherwise, you might try something like a Midisport 2x2 interface - they're cheap, easy and rock-solid, and will give you two ins and outs to the computer.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

biographers
ass engineer

Post by biographers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:13 am

yeah, just midi out. I'd rather not have to buy anymore equipment, if possible.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:19 am

As long as your recording application can support multiple midi-ins, this should be fine. Footswitch goes in via "convential" midi interface, Emu plugged in via USB. What application?

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:53 pm

since you are using separate midi hardware for each, that should show up as 2 different midi ports on your PC. SHould be no problem.
________
Upskirt taxi
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biographers
ass engineer

Post by biographers » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm using Sony Acid Pro 6.0, which I just purchased and am still figuring out. What I'm concerned about is will I need to change the 'midi in' before using either the footpedal or the softsynth?

For example, if I want to hit the footpedal to start recording, will I need to go select that device for midi input or is it possible to have midi input coming from multiple sources at one time? I'm concerned about recording and then tweaking the controller, because that means I'd have change settings as I'm recording, or something.

Anyone know? Thanks. Yikes.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:21 pm

sorry, haven't used acid for a long while. with most modern software, this shouldn't be a problem but why don't you click on over to an Acid board and ask there?

you can also search ebay for a midi merger. they can be really cheap. basically a midi y-cable.

Will

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:14 am

You can probably find software midi mergers. I'm not sure, but I think midiox can do merging.
http://www.midiox.com/