Decent keyboard amp or p.a.?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Decent keyboard amp or p.a.?

Post by hammertime » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm looking for a good, fairly loud but clean keyboard amp. I don't really have alot of live gear, but I was thinking maybe getting some powered p.a. speakers and hooking it up to my little mackie 1202 mixer might be the way to go (?), since I don't have any live gear. I've already got a bunch of guitar amps, and I've put my rhodes and other stuff through it, but I want something a little less colored that doesn't break up. All I'll ever need is enough to play in a small room. I was thinking if I got maybe some of those Mackie powered speakers or something similar, I could also sing and pluck some acoustic guitar. Or would I be better off just buying some sort of keyboard amp with xlr inputs?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:30 pm

You're on the right track. I have a JBL Eon G2 that is, for a PA speaker, very close to flat, and freakin' loud -- as in 450 watts of I've never turned it up past half-way loud, and that's playing in some large rooms.

I've heard both positive and negative comments about the Mackie versions -- positive about the sound, negative about realiability. YMMV.

Nice thing about a powered PA speaker is that you can get more and have a PA.

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

Roland

Post by maxadocious » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:00 pm

I've always loved the sound of the Roland KC amps series. I used to have a great KC-550; I got it used for $250, it had a lot of volume and a very accurate representation of my keyboard. Lots of good bass, 15 inch speaker, and it's got like 4 stereo inputs if you want to plug in a couple keyboards. The thing was old too so they last forever. It got stolen so I never saw it die...

I would also reccommend some of the Peavey keyboard amps, although I haven't used them first hand, I have heard wonderful things about their accuracy and sturdy construction.

If money is an issue, I would advise looking on craigslist for a bass amp. Bass amps, unlike most guitar amps are not designed for a ton of distortion and give a much clearer picture of your keyboard sound. Be sure to get one with a tweeter. I toured with a ska band last summer playing my keyboard out of a Ampeg 2 by 12 bass amp and the thing sounded good, heavy as hell though...

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:05 pm

I wonder if something like this is a good deal. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=600403
apropos of nothing wrote:You're on the right track. I have a JBL Eon G2 that is, for a PA speaker, very close to flat, and freakin' loud -- as in 450 watts of I've never turned it up past half-way loud, and that's playing in some large rooms.

I've heard both positive and negative comments about the Mackie versions -- positive about the sound, negative about realiability. YMMV.

Nice thing about a powered PA speaker is that you can get more and have a PA.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:13 pm

The Eon's are great, but if you're just using it for a keyboard rig and not a PA system do you really need the second speaker, and mixer, and stands. The G2 versions have three inputs on the back (1 mic and 2 line) each with their own volume controls, so you prob don't need the mixer.

The only reason you'd really need two is if you had some crazy awesome stereo rig.

-marc

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:53 pm

It would be kind of cool to own a p.a. Every time I jam with people, someone else always owns a p.a., and it's usually a complete piece of shit that gives us no headroom, terrible sounding vocals, etc. I figure one of those Mackie or JBL deals is going to massive step up from what I'm used to. Plus, I can put all of my aging rackmount effects to use. I went to the music store and checked out some of those mackie 10'' and they didn't sound too bad. That's wierd about reliability -- I've always thought Mackie made pretty reliable gear. I'd like to check some of those JBL's out too.
Marcocet wrote:The Eon's are great, but if you're just using it for a keyboard rig and not a PA system do you really need the second speaker, and mixer, and stands. The G2 versions have three inputs on the back (1 mic and 2 line) each with their own volume controls, so you prob don't need the mixer.

The only reason you'd really need two is if you had some crazy awesome stereo rig.

-marc

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:15 pm

You want a Barbetta 31c. Loud, compact, and handles EPs with ease. My buddy has one and the Yamaha CP-70B sounded great through it, and that's not an easy piano to put through an amp.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think when I save some cash, I'm going to get one of those Mackie powered monitors. I saw a dude playing acoustic guitar through one and it sounded pretty decent. I don't know if it'll sound that great with keys, but I'm not that good anyway, so it doesn't matter. I think i want to go the p.a. route, though, because it would be pretty useful to own one.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 am

I like the 15" Eons a lot better than I like the 10" Eons. The latter are just not that loud. They're well-suited to voice PA, but not so good for music. You could get two 15"s (sans mixing board) for about the price quoted on the Musician's fiend link. I think that'd be a better deal, since the G2s have three inputs a piece.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Re: Roland

Post by AGCurry » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:17 am

maxadocious wrote:I've always loved the sound of the Roland KC amps series. I used to have a great KC-550; I got it used for $250, it had a lot of volume and a very accurate representation of my keyboard. Lots of good bass, 15 inch speaker, and it's got like 4 stereo inputs if you want to plug in a couple keyboards. The thing was old too so they last forever. It got stolen so I never saw it die...
As a bass player playing in a band with a keyboardist having a KC-550, I have to say I hate that amp. It's so freakin' heavy in the bass that, even when she turns the bass knob all the way down, I can stop playing and nobody notices. Or, it may be that the keyboardist just needs to learn how to play in a band with a bass player.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: Roland

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:28 am

AGCurry wrote:
maxadocious wrote:I've always loved the sound of the Roland KC amps series. I used to have a great KC-550; I got it used for $250, it had a lot of volume and a very accurate representation of my keyboard. Lots of good bass, 15 inch speaker, and it's got like 4 stereo inputs if you want to plug in a couple keyboards. The thing was old too so they last forever. It got stolen so I never saw it die...
As a bass player playing in a band with a keyboardist having a KC-550, I have to say I hate that amp. It's so freakin' heavy in the bass that, even when she turns the bass knob all the way down, I can stop playing and nobody notices. Or, it may be that the keyboardist just needs to learn how to play in a band with a bass player.
I'm right with ya man. Can't stand those things. Not flat at all. Not light to carry.