Nady RSM-4 TRM-6 (yeah I know what you're thinking)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Nady RSM-4 TRM-6 (yeah I know what you're thinking)

Post by FlowersForHuman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:06 pm

I know that this "cheap nady ribbon" topic has been talked to death but I can't find any reviews of the RSM-4, 5, or TSM-6 which are all in the same series. Alot of others have asked about the 4 and the only opinion I can find on it is one of those musician's friend "reviews" written by some guy trying to sell the things...his favorite was the RSM -4 though haha. Does ANYONE on this board actually have experience with the others in the series? It woudl be cool if the nady "fake 121" actually performed like a 121. Mods?

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 pm

I've got a client's RSM-4 in for evaluation and potential mods if I discover anything. Have been too busy to get to it this week but hope to spend some quality time with it on Sunday. So far...nice box, nice velvet bag, body too small to upgrade to a Lundahl or Cinemag.

I'm concerned about the parallel faces of the grille - seems like a recipe for standing waves but I haven't heard it yet.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:19 pm

I own one of those bad boys, but it's out for potential modification at the moment...oh wait...hi Michael! :D

In it's stock form, the mic doesn't sound to shabby. For the price, it's really hard to complain. It's a bit on the dark side compared to a LD condenser which is typical of most ribbons in my experience. I'm sure that the multiple layers of mesh contributes to the slightly muffled sound, but hopefully Michael will be able to remedy some of that.

Compared to the R121, the Nady seems to have a little more fatness in the lows/low mids, but lacks the mid range "bite" that I remember hearing with the Royer. The Royer's sound is more open & modern sounding in the upper freqs to my ears.

I like the Nady. I'm willing to try out their other models. It serves the purpose for which I bought it for - to record acoustic instruments such as banjo, upright bass & fiddle. It works great for M/S configuration as the side mic. For brittle sounding instruments, this would be a mic that I would try. I'm curious to know how it would sound on a guitar amp or clarinet...hmmm.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395